Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you have fully comprehensive car insurance are you covered for third party on othe

Default If you have fully comprehensive car insurance are you covered for third party on othe

For example if I was insured on one car fully comprehensive and wanted to drive another not on the policy, is the driver covered with third party insurance? If the other car owner has gave permission for you to drive the car. Thanks, any information regarding limitations (value, performance) would be helpful also.

The answer is not straight forward on this. For a start, The car which is not belonging to you has to be insured by it's owner.

If you look on your own insurance policy it will tell you if you can drive another car not belonging to you. But, Read all the small print too as there are many exceptions to this benefit. Certain groups of people are not covered for this i.e. people in the motor trade or drivers - All insurance companies seem to have a slightly different idea so best to speak with your insurer really.

I'll leave the discussion because it might be interesting, but original poster is just a spammer and has been banned.

MrDanno's comments are absolutely correct. I would just add that, if the other car is not at least third party insured in its own right, then nobody can drive the vehicle, except someone using trade plates on legitimate company business.

All insurances I have had have allowed me to drive another vehicle, owned by someone else, with third party cover. It is only recently that the vehicle has had to be insured in its own right, as my third party cover would only cover the vehicle whilst I was in the driver's seat. The minute I leave the vehicle, it becomes uninsured, so cannot be left at the roadside. I can drive an uninsured vehicle from an offroad location to another offroad location. Eg, I can drive my neighbour's uninsured, un-VEDed, (is that even English?), un-MOTed car from their drive to an MOT station.

I had no idea about that, as I have always though that I was covered while driving someone else s car.

I have been on the Mobility Scheme insurance for the past 8 years, but I got a letter of proof on no claims, from the last insurance company I was with. (Churchill)

So, I wonder where I stand now, with my present insurance provider?

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    I had no idea about that, as I have always though that I was covered while driving someone else s car.

I have been on the Mobility Scheme insurance for the past 8 years, but I got a letter of proof on no claims, from the last insurance company I was with. (Churchill)

So, I wonder where I stand now, with my present insurance provider?
    Unless there is some dispensation with motability Smudger, (but I know nothing about motability), I would be careful because as stated above, you only have this facility if it is stated on your insurance documents that you can driver any other car. Then usually that car has to be not owned by you, and insured by the other driver.

In my first ever year of having my own car and car insurance, I had it down on my certificate that I could drive 3rd party on any other car! The company was Kwikfit. I was surprised by this as I didn't expect companies to extend this to young or new drivers. But when I renewed for my second year, the different company, Swiftcover, did not have this down on my insurance. I guess different insurers have different leniency on this. I have never come across an option where you can choose to have this though, in my experience you are either just given it without asking or you are not given it.

My insurance company says, the car being driven is insured by virtue of the extension to the insurance policy but must be taxed, MOT or on can be proven to be on its way to an MOT, but as has already been pointed out above, the cover ends when I am no longer in charge of the vehicle, the definition of ‘in charge’ he did not want to discuss, he also said it is not an industry standard on comprehensive cover. I asked how the police would deal with this and he said that aspect gives them (the insurers) a lot of trouble unless the driver is carrying their insurance certificate (which they should be). Interestingly, because I use hearing aids, I tried to conduct the conversation by E-mail, but they did not want to play.

Moral, check your terms and conditions, regardless of what you read here or on any other forum.

Default Motability

Smudger, warning!

I think you should check your Motability policy ASAP. I am absolutely certain that a Motability policy does NOT provide cover for "driving other vehicles". I know this because I recently had to check up for someone who wanted to drive my daughter's car (only person insured on daughter's policy is herself), and the only insurance that person had was a Motability policy - fully comp, but NO driving other vehicles (not belonging, etc).

I know some policies provide this facility (mine and Mrs W's do), but NOT all, and many have conditions attached (eg, age).

regards
    Watcher

Aye! I knew about only one named driver being allowed to drive a Mobility car, as I am the named driver of my wife's car.

I have never had the need to drive anybody else s car over the past few years, as I am disabled myself, and cant get into Low cars any more?