Thread: VW Polo Imobilisor / ignition key problem

Default VW Polo Imobilisor / ignition key problem

Hello grateful for any advice please - I have a 2004 VW Polo Twist (1.4) - only 42k miles on the clock . It's been pretty good with no major problems up until 4 days ago - when I go to start the car the imobilisor warning light flashes and the car won't start. So far it has started on the 5th - 15th attempt (over a period of 3 - 10mins) but according to the VW book the warning light states the car is tryingot be started with an illegal key etc. It is a VW car key (had it 2 1/2 yrs when I got the car but I only have the one key) - Is this an easy to fix issue or is this going to be a major problem (I assume that eventually the car won't start and I don't want to be stranded as I work in a rural area and worse I use the car for my mum who uses a wheelchair) grateful for any advice. thank you

Is it the car computer that comes up with that Key Problem?

I only wonder if, once the starting problem has been solved, will that Key Problem still come up?
    The best person to see about the computer problem would be an Auto- Electrician, good luck with it.

Hi Smudger - Yes it the computer warning that appears and I think you're spot on it looks like it's a key problem - the car failed to start at all today (Monday) do called out the RAC to tow it (had to upgrade, typical first year in ages I didn't have homestart lol). Anyway its at a VW dealership to get the key re coded (i ordered a spare as well) should take 2 days (as it was due to go in Tuesday (was hoping I could drive it then but wasn't to be) so hopefuly that will get it sorted out - thank you for your reply

Hello,
    Did you end up solving the problem by having the key recoded? I'm wondering because I have the same problem with my Polo 2002 TDI and the mechanics can't seem to figure out what's wrong with it. They replaced the ignition mechanism, which worked for about a month until the problem came back. Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LeBlanc View Post
    Hello,
    Did you end up solving the problem by having the key recoded? I'm wondering because I have the same problem with my Polo 2002 TDI and the mechanics can't seem to figure out what's wrong with it. They replaced the ignition mechanism, which worked for about a month until the problem came back. Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Thanks.
    Your better off starting a new thread with full details of the fault and what happens in the Technical section. Does your immobilizer light flash?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the immobilizer light flashes. I started a new thread just before sending you my message. I'm hoping to isolate the problem as much as possible before returning to the dealer.

I've answered this in your other post in Breakdowns. Technical would be the best place for maximum response.