Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: premature cambelt failure

Default premature cambelt failure

peugeot807 - Citroen C8 - Fiat Ulysse - 2.2 Diesel circa 2003/2005 cambelt snapped - is this you? Replies welcome.

Not aware of any particular issues with this engine. It is essentially the same timing belt arrangement as the 2.0HDi which is usually quite tough and reliable and there are a lot of them on the roads.
    I have changed many at 96,000 miles with no issues.

Ive not heard of alot of problems with them breaking befor there mileage due point . Timing belts do have an age replacement date too reguardless of mileage could this be the cause ?

Hi,

A Premature Cambelt Failure, can be caused by no end of Cambelt Driven items, "Quite Tough" and "Reliable"!? "Wont Stop" any premature seizrues?

Had one recently that had a loose bolt that loosend and extended so far that it lunchecd its Camshaft driven wheel!

wes.
    Last edited by Wesley; 23-06-10 at 00:30.

Default premature cambelt failure in HDi C8 807 & Ulysse 2003 to 2006

Thank you for your replies. The following scenario has become all to familiar. While proceeding along the motorway (at a steady 60mph on cruise control) car suddenly lost all drive and so driver forced to take emergency action of escape to hard shoulder.

Fault traced to cambelt snapping, from having deteriorated because this particular model of engine (DW12TED) mounted in this particular car body (2.0 and 2.2 HDi Peugeot 807 & Citroen C8 from PSA and Ulysse from Fiat) offers too little protection of the cambelt from water and frost.

It thereby does not endure for the manufacturer’s predicted lifetime of at least 100,000 miles/ 160,000 km.

Fault was addressed for this model of engine in these models of car from 2006 onwards by the maker’s modification of adding extra barriers between the cambelt and water and frost.

Owners of these models of vehicles produced from 2003 to 2006 have however still not been notified of the need for these modifications nor have any manufacturers’ recalls been instigated for them.

Premature cambelt failure and therefore great danger is repeatedly occurring for the unsuspecting owners of these particular vehicles.

Prevention is better than cure. All owners of these vehicles beware. Act now before it is too late.

Camfag Kent UK

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Hi,

A Premature Cambelt Failure, can be caused by no end of Cambelt Driven items, "Quite Tough" and "Reliable"!? "Wont Stop" any premature seizrues?

Had one recently that had a loose bolt that loosend and extended so far that it lunchecd its Camshaft driven wheel!

wes.
    Read the post properly, I did not say the belt was tough and reliable, I said the engine. Thats what a 2.0HDi is.

As for the info supplied in the advert from Camfag, Kent, I have been in touch with the Peugeot dealer and there are no bulletins listed, no modifications listed and no other warnings listed for this engine. The cambelt covers and arrangement are the same part numbers as the originals indicating that it has not been superseded by the manufacturer. There are no warnings in the Gates Timing Belt catalogue either.
    Having said all that, the dealer has had an 807 and a C8 this year with belt failure, the C8 at 54,000 miles. The recommended interval for the belt on these cars is 100,000 miles or 10 years. BUT, THERE IS A WARNING THAT SAYS, 'THE PREVIOUS USE AND SERVICE HISTORY OF THE VEHICLE MUST ALWAYS BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT.' That will be the get out of jail card.
    Personally I always suggest belt replacement at a maximum of 60,000 miles where the manufacturer states longer.

I wouldnt be keen on leaveing a timing belt on for 10 years I wouldnt go past 5 yrs on my motor . Have to agree with hometune would change no later than 60,000 miles to be safe

Quote Originally Posted by camfag View Post
    Thank you for your replies. The following scenario has become all to familiar. While proceeding along the motorway (at a steady 60mph on cruise control) car suddenly lost all drive and so driver forced to take emergency action of escape to hard shoulder.

Fault traced to cambelt snapping, from having deteriorated because this particular model of engine (DW12TED) mounted in this particular car body (2.0 and 2.2 HDi Peugeot 807 & Citroen C8 from PSA and Ulysse from Fiat) offers too little protection of the cambelt from water and frost.

It thereby does not endure for the manufacturer’s predicted lifetime of at least 100,000 miles/ 160,000 km.

Fault was addressed for this model of engine in these models of car from 2006 onwards by the maker’s modification of adding extra barriers between the cambelt and water and frost.

Owners of these models of vehicles produced from 2003 to 2006 have however still not been notified of the need for these modifications nor have any manufacturers’ recalls been instigated for them.

Premature cambelt failure and therefore great danger is repeatedly occurring for the unsuspecting owners of these particular vehicles.

Prevention is better than cure. All owners of these vehicles beware. Act now before it is too late.

Camfag Kent UK
    I cannot see how water or frost will bother a timing belt, sunlight could be an issue but I would expect the exposure to be measured in years before any problems.

Agree Wagolynn. Sierra Cosworths have the belt at the front and usually never have a cambelt cover fitted. There may be a problem with these engines - I don't know for sure - and I must repeat that 60,000 miles is long enough for most belts.
    Note that Alfas MUST be replaced at 36,000 miles as they are notorious for premature tensioner failure and Renaults struggle to get to the recommended 70,000 mile interval.

Default premature cambelt failure C8 807 Ulysse

The French car magazine Argus has an article on the cambelt failure of the Citroen C8 and Peugeot 807. Try the link:

http://www.argusauto.com/actualite-a...67621_p_2.html

Peugeot have been fitting an additional part, a rain deflector. Because of cambelt failure due to the entry of water into the timing via the scuttle panel, a plastic panel was made to stop this and added to later models. The part no is 8248.71. (824871) (price listed at 20 euros) and was fitted from the later 2005 models onwards. It is not a modification, it is an addition.

Does anyone know an instance of them being retrofitted to existing cars rather than fitted only to new production? Was there any recall or directive sent to any dealers of any of the three companies to advise of the addition so that existing owners could benefit also from having the addition fitted?