Thread: RAC Membership Renewal

Default RAC Membership Renewal

Couldn't find a link to anything about this before so apologies if it's been discussed previously.

DON'T accept the renewal premium from the RAC for membership renewal!!

I checked mine against an online quote from the website and found a £30 difference. When I phoned to complain about this and to ask if I should, therefore, resign my membership and then check out the RAC and AA to see which was my best quote as a 'new' member, I was given another quote which saved me, in total, something in the region of £50 on the postal quote.

It seems rather immoral of the RAC to be trying to charge me (and you) more than a new member, when I've got a suposed 'no claims' bonus and a membership record (not made any calls in 3 years). SURELY there should be a means where they offer similar discounts to paying members as they do to prospective ones. And as for only offering those discounts if you phone to query the quotation....I'm not sure how I would describe that...but something along the profession of Dick Turpin springs to mind!

It amazes me how many people do not know how much they pay for services. They sign up for Direct Debits, and don't check their statements. They just assume that everything is OK. I have spoken to friends who do not know how much they paid for car insurance, home contents insurance, telephone, gas and electricity bills. They, in turn, think I am weird because I check everything.

Well, they must be well off, that's all I can say, as when you are on a tight budget, like we are, you have to account for every pound.

As we cant get out much these days, we do our banking on line, so we can check things every day.
    Also, by going "paperless billing" with our TV/phone & internet services, we save 9 a month

Quote Originally Posted by davey_g View Post
    Couldn't find a link to anything about this before so apologies if it's been discussed previously.

DON'T accept the renewal premium from the RAC for membership renewal!!

I checked mine against an online quote from the website and found a £30 difference. When I phoned to complain about this and to ask if I should, therefore, resign my membership and then check out the RAC and AA to see which was my best quote as a 'new' member, I was given another quote which saved me, in total, something in the region of £50 on the postal quote.

It seems rather immoral of the RAC to be trying to charge me (and you) more than a new member, when I've got a suposed 'no claims' bonus and a membership record (not made any calls in 3 years). SURELY there should be a means where they offer similar discounts to paying members as they do to prospective ones. And as for only offering those discounts if you phone to query the quotation....I'm not sure how I would describe that...but something along the profession of Dick Turpin springs to mind!
    It's the same with car insurance companies - they are more than happy to give big discounts or free merchandise/vouchers etc. to new members, but they couldn't care less about their loyal members to whom they offer no such rewards. No wonder most people change insurers every single year.