Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Undertaking Coming off a Roundabout

The amount of times that I've been "undertook" while leaving a roundabout is unreal. Its got to the stage now where I even expect it to happen.

One thing I've noticed is the folk who do it, are the ones who sit right on your back bumper, overtake and change lanes with no signals?

Yet they are the same ones that you pull up behind when you reach the next roundabout

I am not sure what you mean, Smudger. I leave roundabouts from the nearside lane, so cannot be undertaken. I get into the left hand lane at the last exit before the one I take. (Generally when turning right, if I am going left or straight ahead, I stick to the nearside lane through the roundabout.)

Ah! sorry about that Roelbama, I should have said, its a two lane roundabout, one of three that I have to go though to get to the shopping centre.

I come off on the right hand lane, as I have to turn right a few yards further along that road, (after leaving the roundabout), and they come up on the inside, then cut right in front of you
    , it happens quite a lot and not just to me?

RIght you are, Smudger, we have two roundabouts on the A40 where people have the same problem. One in Ickenham, one in Denham. I have seen instances of people coming off in left hand lane and swerving across two lanes to get to the 'protected' right turns just off the roundabout to 'undertake' those already in the correct lane for their turn.

Quote Originally Posted by RhiRhi View Post
    In response to wagolynn's point 4- I went over the same route today, and drove round the roundabout in exactly the same way as I did yesterday and I'm sure that I did so correctly both times.

As I approached the left junction there was nobody waiting to come out and there was nobody behind me, same when I did my mirror-signal-manouver as I passed the left junction and again when I checked my mirror to start coming off the roundabout. The other car just seemed to appear to the left of me as I was coming off, so I can only assume he came from the left junction at a high speed, didn't see me and then didn't have time to stop when he DID see me.

I've thought it over, and going over the roundabout again today has reassured me that I did everything correctly- I think, as wagolynn said, I just need to develop a thicker skin!

Thanks both for the advice I'm waiting on my pass plus course so hopefully that will help with the confidence/thicker skin.
    I am afraid I must disagree with you, you cannot have done everything correctly otherwise you would not have been involved.
    Roundabouts are very dangerous places simply because of the disparity between what should happen and what actually happens.
    Your 'mistake' was to expect that by driving by the book you would be safe. Looking in mirrors, looking into roads leading onto the roundabout, assessing what other vehicles are doing (as opposed to what they signal or lane markings suggest) has to be a continues process.
    Sorry to sound so harsh, that is not my intention.
    See point 4 in post#3 above (there is usually a way). The logic being, I cannot do anything about the errant ways of other drivers but I can keep out of their way.
    Last edited by wagolynn; 07-01-12 at 15:59.

I'm an advanced motorist, been driving almost 40yrs now and taught for a while and touch wood have never had an accident.

Unless it's changed since I took my test and advanced test, on approaching a roundabout you should always take the nearside lane UNLESS you're overtaking or turning right.

I think the main problem with the standard of driving these days are the amount of illegal driving schools. There must be thousands in the UK. I live in a small rural town now after living in various locations around the UK and there's not one properly licensed driving school here, but about half a dozen illegal ones.

All driving school cars should display the green DSA (Driving Standards Authority) badge in the windscreen, and ADI (approved driving instructor) plus advanced motorist would be recommended. How many do you see? Apart from the big companies like BSM and RED, AA etc I can't think of many. The usual driving school car just says Fred Blogs on an illuminated sign that can be bought and stuck on the roof and sometimes some stick on lettering, enabling the driver to charge people to use his car while he tells them how to drive his way.

It's no wonder there's so many accidents, near accidents and the standard of driving these days is appalling. The police do nothing as they say there's too much paperwork to make it feasible to book these rookie driving schools, so they get away with it.

So in the light of so many illegal driving schools, thousands if not millions of drivers passing their tests without being taught properly, then one should have eyes in the back of ones head and anywhere else to look out for these drivers and have the mind set that all other drivers are idiots. You should then avoid having an accident.
    Last edited by mrsflump; 07-02-12 at 11:13.

If approaching a roundabout in the second or middle lane,you should drive through the roundabout and "enter" your "exit" road in the middle or outside lane.
    Only then if its safe to do so,should you then move over to the "inside"lane.
    How many time have I seen drivers approach roundabout in the middle lane and then cut across to the "inside"or "nearside" lane when exiting the roundabout.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsflump View Post
    I'm an advanced motorist, been driving almost 40yrs now and taught for a while and touch wood have never had an accident.

Unless it's changed since I took my test and advanced test, on approaching a roundabout you should always take the nearside lane UNLESS you're overtaking or turning right.

I think the main problem with the standard of driving these days are the amount of illegal driving schools. There must be thousands in the UK. I live in a small rural town now after living in various locations around the UK and there's not one properly licensed driving school here, but about half a dozen illegal ones.

All driving school cars should display the green DSA (Driving Standards Authority) badge in the windscreen, and ADI (approved driving instructor) plus advanced motorist would be recommended. How many do you see? Apart from the big companies like BSM and RED, AA etc I can't think of many. The usual driving school car just says Fred Blogs on an illuminated sign that can be bought and stuck on the roof and sometimes some stick on lettering, enabling the driver to charge people to use his car while he tells them how to drive his way.

It's no wonder there's so many accidents, near accidents and the standard of driving these days is appalling. The police do nothing as they say there's too much paperwork to make it feasible to book these rookie driving schools, so they get away with it.

So in the light of so many illegal driving schools, thousands if not millions of drivers passing their tests without being taught properly, then one should have eyes in the back of ones head and anywhere else to look out for these drivers and have the mind set that all other drivers are idiots. You should then avoid having an accident.
    1. Things may indeed have changed since you passed your test - signs or lane markings may tell you to take another lane (Highway Code 185-7). And in any case you shouldn't be overtaking on the approach to a roundabout (HC 167).

2. As well as the green ADI badge, driving instructors can also operate quite legally with the pink PDI badge. I've no doubt there are some illegal instructors, but I can't believe there are many. In my time as an instructor I've spotted exactly one (and I do look!), and when I reported it to the DSA they took action. The 'phone number for their Fraud & Integrity Team is 029 2058 1155 or e-mail at integrity.team@dsa.gsi.gov.uk

3. If people are not being taught properly by these illegal instructors, how are they passing the test?

Passing the test is not that difficult Beelzebub. Legal or not, I think the problem is due to pupils being taught to pass the test rather than how to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    Passing the test is not that difficult Beelzebub. Legal or not, I think the problem is due to pupils being taught to pass the test rather than how to drive.
    Sorry to disagree Wagolynn, but "pupils being taught to pass the test" is a common and baseless allegation, most notably coming recently from the current transport minister (whose entire research on the subject seems to have consisted of a conversation with his teenage daughter.)

Some thoughts:

- If passing the test doesn't equip you to drive, then isn't it the test that's at fault, rather than the training?

- Most responsible instructors do try to cover the subjects which the test can't or doesn't cover, e.g. night driving. We are currently prevented by law from teaching pupils on the motorway, and to his credit the same minister is trying to change that.

- If every driver continued to drive at test standard, and followed the Highway Code, the roads would (by definition) be considerably safer. My (admittedly unscientific) observation is that I see more much more bad driving from the "mature" population than from the youngsters.

- All the evidence I've ever seen suggests that our test is in fact very effective - our roads are the safest in the world. I agree the test isn't very difficult, and it would be easy to make it much harder, but that would make it more expensive. No politician is going to propose that, unless there is strong evidence to suggest that there would be a great improvement in road safety.

End of rant!