Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Undertaking Coming off a Roundabout

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    - If passing the test doesn't equip you to drive, then isn't it the test that's at fault, rather than the training?
    I would not argue with that. I wonder why the youngsters are statistically more likely to have a crash.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    I would not argue with that. I wonder why the youngsters are statistically more likely to have a crash.
    3-4 years ago the DSA carried out a huge, expensive (and ultimately rather pointless) consultation process to address the problem of the shockingly high accident rate among new (rather than necessarily young) drivers.

One of their research findings was that the problem was largely one of attitude, rather than any deficiency in skill. There were some tentative proposals for some form of attitude testing, which came to nothing.

Its a bit like that survey that scientists were asked by the government to carry out, as to why traffic comes to a crawl on our motorways. After they had spent millions of pounds and thousands of man and computer hours, they came up with...........nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    3-4 years ago the DSA carried out a huge, expensive (and ultimately rather pointless) consultation process to address the problem of the shockingly high accident rate among new (rather than necessarily young) drivers.

One of their research findings was that the problem was largely one of attitude, rather than any deficiency in skill. There were some tentative proposals for some form of attitude testing, which came to nothing.
    I used to live near a disused airfield, my first step in teaching kids to drive was to take them there and let them get vehicle control (gears, clutch, braking etc.) out of the way. Step 2 was to deal with any 'attitude' they were encouraged to go a bit wild using their new found skills, of course, they quickly soiled their underwear, I would then debrief them (not literally). Once they had had the experience of an out of control vehicle they had no urge to try that again. At this point they were ready to try the road and traffic. Towards the end of their training, I would teach them a little higher speed driving but they had to demonstrate what they were doing/thinking by giving a commentary. As far as training sensible drivers, this appeared to work. This was years before written exams, when the Highway Code was a useful tool for driving.
    Last edited by wagolynn; 11-02-12 at 16:43.

We used to live near a disused air filed which would have been great for that sort of thing. But just as folk started to use it for learning to drive and so on, the council built big concrete barriers to stop vehicles getting on to it?

Which was totally daft, as the youngsters have nowhere to go now, it would be ideal for their 4 wheeled trike's and the like, and keep them off the public roads, but the council knows best????????

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    ]We used to live near a disused air filed which would have been great for that sort of thing. ]
    Aye, when i was an apprentice diesel fitter in the early 70's & first started learning to drive, my father used to take me to a disused airfield just around the corner from where we worked in the dinner break to teach me the basics.

Perfect place to learn the basic stuff.

There is a roundabout near me in which there are two exits very close together. some motorists indicate too soon and it gives the impression they are going to take the first exit, when in fact they are indicating too early for them to take the second exit.

Aye! that's why roundabouts and junctions are the main spots for accidents, we need to be far more alert when driving on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    There is a roundabout near me in which there are two exits very close together. some motorists indicate too soon and it gives the impression they are going to take the first exit, when in fact they are indicating too early for them to take the second exit.
    Moral here is, never rely on an indicators, always look for confirmation e.g. what is the vehicle actually doing.