Thread: Commute from Manchester to Stoke on the M6

Smile Commute from Manchester to Stoke on the M6

Hi I wanted to ask a traffic question. I've got an interview in Newcastle-Under-Lyme. I live right by J5 of the M60 and I'd have to go up the M56, down the link road and then to J16 of the M6. Does anyone else do a similar journey and how long does it take at rush hour and on the way back? I currently commute to Rochdale which takes about 40 minutes. I don't want to move out of Manchester so I'd be driving every day. I can see its bad traffic coming into Manchester in the morning but what's it like going out? Thanks

It depends what you call rush hour.
    In the morning, the exit at J7, M56 gets congested as lots of others are doing what you're about to do, then J19 entry slip onto the M6 south causes congestion along the M6 prior to the junction and around it whilst people sort themselves out. Up to a couple of miles past Knutsford services the traffic is usually flowing but at a slower speed (40 - 50mph) From arounf J18 south it's steady at 50 - 60 mph unless people start playing dodgems (which does happen often)
    You also need to be aware that the exit slip at J7, M56 will be closed in the not-to-distant future, because the fly-over bridge there is due for being demolised and replaced. The diversion then would be up to Lymm, off there, over the bridge towards the SVS, then back onto the M6 southbound.

Welcome to the site maskerade, I know commuting can be expensive and time consuming, as used to do it.
    Timing was important for me back then, as even leaving home a few minutes can save you being stuck in traffic.

Thank you both

I would be leaving at 7am as I would start at 8am so I'm hoping it wouldn't be quite as bad then. I used to commute into Bristol from a village in Gloucestershire and leaving ten minutes late could add 40minutes onto your journey :s

As I understood it they're replacing the surface of the bridge but building it in sections and putting it on at weekends with major structural work to take place at weekends or by using narrowed lanes as the basic structure is to be retained. I got this from the Highways Agency website, is there somewhere else I should read?

Unfortunatly much as I'd like to travel less this may be the best move for me career wise :s

Thanks