Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Badge Cover (RAC Response)

Default Blue Badge Cover (RAC Response)

My Mum is severely partially sighted and cannot drive. I am her carer and do all the driving when she needs to go anywhere; she has a Blue Badge. She is also mobility impaired.

When looking through the terms and conditions (prompted by another poster) - I've not had any sent through for a couple of years - I find the terminology somewhat confusing.

I am covered on personal basis for roadside, recovery, at home, onward and European. If I have a breakdown or accident (God forbid) with my Mum in the car and as I'm not the Blue Badge holder, how would the RAC treat us?

I'm posting this on the forum rather than send a direct enquiry because there must be a fair number of people out there who are drivers for blind or severely partially sighted family members who are also registered as that family member's full time carer. I feel it would be helpful to all of us to have that knowledge up here.

As long as the person is in the car when you are using the Blue Badge, you are covered.

If you are the registered driver, you are the only person allowed to drive that Mobility Scheme car.

You can contact them through the Internet and ask them to put you on their Lifestyle magazine list, as that's a great magazine which comes every 3 months.

Any problems send me a PM and I can help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    As long as the person is in the car when you are using the Blue Badge, you are covered.

If you are the registered driver, you are the only person allowed to drive that Mobility Scheme car.

You can contact them through the Internet and ask them to put you on their Lifestyle magazine list, as that's a great magazine which comes every 3 months.

Any problems send me a PM and I can help you out.
    Thanks, Smudger.

The issue has arisen as Mum doesn't have a Motability Car as she can's see to drive so it is my car that she travels in. I didn't even know about the RAC Response scheme until I spotted it when following up on terms and conditions - hon. members don't get annual updates like paying members, I think. I would find the £101 to pay for the extended cover but it seems that, as Mum's virtually blind and can't drive, it wouldn't be relevant to us. Whilst not wishing to be rude to anyone who has disability problems, for those of us who care for those who are or are virtually blind, it is a real struggle when it comes to motoring. The attitude seems to be - they can't see to drive so they don't need help with a car - if you see what I mean!

Please don't think I think Motoability isn't great - I know several folks for whom this scheme has changed their lives dramatically.

Hi Fj, I am no expert but applying my version of common sense.
    I very much doubt that any recovery service can actually do much for a blue badge holder, they can promise allsorts but you will always find in the small print a get out clause. If when you need their service, they are busy, you are likely to just join the queue, depending on who takes your call.

Thinking about the terms and conditions –

I think Home start would be a waste of money for you, as you are on the island, ferries and all that, it sounds from your other posts that you will get better service from your local garage.

Recovery will get you or take you and your passengers (max 7) home. I think you will have to check how they will do this in your case because of the ferry.

Onward travel, with its three day hire car looks expensive to me, if Recovery will actually get you home. I suspect, if Recovery has a problem with the ferry (not crossing on it or you pay the costs) then Onward Travel will.
    I am not sure this helps you, but I do understand how confusing it all gets once you get into the terms and conditions but I hope I have erected some sign posts for you.
    Last edited by wagolynn; 10-05-10 at 12:38.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    Hi Fj, I am no expert but applying my version of common sense.
    I very much doubt that any recovery service can actually do much for a blue badge holder, they can promise allsorts but you will always find in the small print a get out clause. If when you need their service, they are busy, you are likely to just join the queue, depending on who takes your call.

Thinking about the terms and conditions –

I think Home start would be a waste of money for you, as you are on the island, ferries and all that, it sounds from your other posts that you will get better service from your local garage.

Recovery will get you or take you and your passengers (max 7) home. I think you will have to check how they will do this in your case because of the ferry.

Onward travel, with its three day hire car looks expensive to me, if Recovery will actually get you home. I suspect, if Recovery has a problem with the ferry (not crossing on it or you pay the costs) then Onward Travel will.
    I am not sure this helps you, but I do understand how confusing it all gets once you get into the terms and conditions but I hope I have erected some sign posts for you.
    Hi, Wagolynn, and thanks.

I feel the points you make in your first para are correct - unless you have a Motoability vehicle as the driver.

I have used the At Home service - when not in a screaming hurry - but I do know that the various breakdown service people seem to have some sort of arrangement (legal one) whereby they can swap jobs if they have major breakdowns at opposite ends of the island to where they are when they're already on a shout.

Never used Onward Travel, likewise Europe - my present situation doesn't cover it - but as it comes as part of the package....!

Recovery I have used and I do have to pay the return ferry fare, but in all fairness and except at peak times, if the car can be manhandled onto and off the ferry, the RAC arrange for the island recovery agent to pick you up the other side.

As to terms and conditions, sometimes, I'm glad I'm not paying!

Response members always get Priority, You can have a joint response membership to cover you both so your still covered when your on your own.
    Hope that helps.

Aye! I never knew until I came on here, that RAC membership comes free with a Mobility Car contract.
    It was only then when I noticed the sticker on the windscreen with all the bumff tucked into it

I think you are getting a little confused.

The Blue Badge scheme gives qualifying people certain specific parking benefits [details supplied with badge]. This has nothing to do with the RAC or any other breakdown serives.

Those qualifying for provision of a vehicle under the Motorbility lease scheme get free inclusive RAC breakdown and recovery services - and full details are provided with the lease documentation.

The qualifying person does not have to be the driver, but whoever drives [with Motorbility agreement] must ONLY drive the vehicle when it is for the direct benefit of the qualifying person.

If any doubt exists, I would suggest contacting either a] the local authority - council - who issued the Blue Badge, or b] Motorbility, who are very helpful.

This may help to clear things up a bit re-blue badge. http://www.rac.co.uk/breakdown/blue-badge/

Aye! I have discovered that after we return this car in September and start driving our own one, we wont have any free RAC coverage.

So it looks like I will have to shop around for cover, but as we don't go out on long runs anywhere, it seems kind of pointless really.