Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to use the right-hand lane on a roundabout?

Default When to use the right-hand lane on a roundabout?

When learning to drive I was told that you ONLY use the right-hand lane if you are taking the very last exit on any roundabout (not including the road you have come from). I.e. on a standard rbt with 4 exits including your own, you only use the r-h lane for the 3rd exit or if you are turning back on yourself. That is fairly obivous and the norm.

But what about huge roundabouts that have maybe 7 different exits including the one you've come from? According to this rule you should use the right-hand lane ONLY if you intend to take the last (6th) exit or to go straight back onto the road you just came from. So even if the 5th exit was at 3 or 4 o'clock, you should still go all the way round in the left lane. Is that right, or is the better rule just to use the right-hand lane if the exit you want is, say, more than 3/4 of the way round the roundabout? Looking at other drivers' behaviour, it seems the latter is what is generally done, and it does seem more sensible to take the r-h lane - rather than sticking to the left the whole way round in order to take an exit that is 80% of the way round the roundabout, just because it happens not to be the last exit.
    Last edited by 98selitb; 06-05-10 at 16:09.

No matter what lane you are in you will have to change lanes at some time, and that's where all the accidents happen.

I have seen it so often, the car indicates then after checking his mirror, tries to move over and more often than not cant get across?

Quote Originally Posted by 98selitb View Post
    When learning to drive I was told that you ONLY use the right-hand lane if you are taking the very last exit on any roundabout (not including the road you have come from). I.e. on a standard rbt with 4 exits including your own, you only use the r-h lane for the 3rd exit or if you are turning back on yourself. That is fairly obivous and the norm.

But what about huge roundabouts that have maybe 7 different exits including the one you've come from? According to this rule you should use the right-hand lane ONLY if you intend to take the last (6th) exit or to go straight back onto the road you just came from. So even if the 5th exit was at 3 or 4 o'clock, you should still go all the way round in the left lane. Is that right, or is the better rule just to use the right-hand lane if the exit you want is, say, more than 3/4 of the way round the roundabout? Looking at other drivers' behaviour, it seems the latter is what is generally done, and it does seem more sensible to take the r-h lane - rather than sticking to the left the whole way round in order to take an exit that is 80% of the way round the roundabout, just because it happens not to be the last exit.
    98setlib, be careful, you are heading in the direction of agreeing with me that roundabout are inherently unsafe.

I loosely, use the rule, if in effect I am turning right, use the centre lane this of course would include going beyond turning right. But as any given roundabout gets busy, not crossing the lanes on the roundabout becomes more important in terms of self preservation. with the roundabout saturated this may mean staying in the outside lane... They are (roundabouts) another maybe situation, rather than a stop or go, breaking all the safety rules.

Default Roundabouts - correct procedure

The Highway Code.says left lane for 1st exit, right lane for last exit, and the 'appropriate' lane for intermediate exits. Other than on mini roundabouts it does not stipulate that you MUST do anything (i.e there is no law as to which exit to use)

Some roundabouts have road markings to indicate which lane to use. Watch out for these. Taking the second exit on a standard 4 junction roundabout would normally mean the left hand lane, but the road marking might say the left lane is for left turn ONLY.

The general rule is to watch for the roundabout sign as you approach. Imagine the picture of the roundabouit as a clock face. If your exit is past 12 o'clock you want the right hand lane, indicating right. MSM left as you go past the exit before the one you want.

Anything straight on or before 12 o'clock is left hand lane and then MSM etc.

But all of that is subject to following road markings if different.

This will work fine on a (relatively) empty roundabout but will be difficult if not impossible on a fully populated roundabout.

I use right hand lane for anything over 180 degrees on two lane approach, and on a three land approach I use the third lane for anything over 270 degrees. Not idiot-proof, but it works for me.

I never trust anyone's indicators when on roundabouts, most times they have just been left on and forgotten about?

Leaving a lot of space around you works for me as well

I do not trust indicators on roundabouts because they are mis-used. Indicating right to go straight across, turning off with right indicators on etc etc.

I would say, indicators, lack of and inappropriate use is all part of why roundabouts are dangerous places. Two lanes only would help but traffic lights would be safer.

Aye! there is a roundabout near us, which has three lanes, controlled my lights.

The amount of bumps I have seen, caused by drivers changing lanes on the short distance between the lights, is unreal

I cant see the advantage of doing that, yet they still do it, and cause accidents all the time.

Its not like they are going get off the roundabout any quicker?