Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: speeding camers allowance

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default speeding camers allowance

    went through a speed camera at 55 mph in a 50 zone. i have been told they allow ten percent so does this mean i may be ok thanks for any help given

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    The Government and ACPO guideilnes recommend giving tickets for any car going more than 10% + 2mph over the limit. For 50 that should mean if you were doing anything up to 57mph, you shouldn't get a ticket. This is due to different cars' speedometers showing different speeds, as some can show 10% over the actual speed.
    Last edited by 98selitb; 02-05-10 at 22:17.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North of Watford Gap
    Posts
    964

    Default Speed traps

    Quote Originally Posted by 98selitb View Post
    The Government and ACPO guideilnes recommend giving tickets for any car going more than 10% + 2mph over the limit. For 50 that should mean if you were doing anything up to 57mph, you shouldn't get a ticket. This is due to different cars' speedometers showing different speeds, as some can show 10% under the actual speed.
    AHHH! Nearly right 98!

    ACPO guidelines agreed (bearing in mind 1] they are ONLY guidlines, 2] ACPO don't make the law, and 3] even a fraction over the limit is technically an offence). However, the reason for the guidlines is that if these automatic tax gathering machines were set AT the limit the system would grind to a halt!

    However, I'm afraid I must correct you - speedometers must never show under the actual speed - it is acceptable for a speedo to read, say, 40 when you are really doing 36, but not to show 10% UNDER your actual speed, ie 36 when you are really doing 40!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    8,529

    Default

    I came across a case where these ACPO guidelines were ignored. The sales manager of a company I have dealings with was recorded as driving at 33 mph in a 30 limit when caught on a mobile police van camera.
    He got a £60 fine and 3 points on his licence.

    I saw a news item a week or two ago which stated that councils (some?) were withdrawing the sceme which allowed the police to keep part of the cash.
    I wonder if this will eventually result in the police not bothering to send personnel out to operate the camera vans?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
    However, I'm afraid I must correct you - speedometers must never show under the actual speed - it is acceptable for a speedo to read, say, 40 when you are really doing 36, but not to show 10% UNDER your actual speed, ie 36 when you are really doing 40!
    That is pretty much it, They can over-read upto set limits but, must not under-read. It has been a few years since I spent days at a VOSA test station but, I clearly remember that at an indicated 70mph the minimum speed of the vehicle had to be 62mph.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I came across a case where these ACPO guidelines were ignored. The sales manager of a company I have dealings with was recorded as driving at 33 mph in a 30 limit when caught on a mobile police van camera.
    He got a £60 fine and 3 points on his licence.
    Yes, I think they can do you for any speed. I remember a friends father being done for about 35 in a 30 zone years ago by a Policeman on a motorcycle, He said the reason he was giving him the fine was because he had followed him for about a quarter of a mile and he had made no attempt to lower his speed.

    I saw a camera van out yesterday disguised as a surveillance van in a lay-by.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    8,685

    Default

    Quote Snowball.."I wonder if this will eventually result in the police not bothering to send personnel out to operate the camera vans"

    Well according to the police program on TV, its coppers on overtime who operate them mobile vans, so they are quids in all ways Eh!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Sorry Watcher, quite right! Sorry for misleading the OP, I of course meant to say over, not under, and have corrected it on that post

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    8,509

    Default

    Remember reading a while ago about motorists being sent FPNs for doing 31 and 32 in a 30 zone. (I think it was Wales.) Made me smile as these characters were all complaining that they had 'only broken the law a little bit'.
    I have heard of one motorist being sent FPN for doing 30.6mph in a 30 zone. I think the camera operators are in competition with each other to get the lowest figure over the limit.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    Remember reading a while ago about motorists being sent FPNs for doing 31 and 32 in a 30 zone. (I think it was Wales.) Made me smile as these characters were all complaining that they had 'only broken the law a little bit'.
    I have heard of one motorist being sent FPN for doing 30.6mph in a 30 zone. I think the camera operators are in competition with each other to get the lowest figure over the limit.
    Very possibly North Wales Police. With work I am unfortunate enough to spend many months a year in that jurisdiction. Their ex-chief Richard Brumstrom admitted to being, in his own words, "obsessed with catching speeding motorists". Their recent policy has been to indiscriminately stop EVERY single motorcyslist they come across, regardless of whether they're doing anything wrong, and give them a dressing down about how speed kills. Most of that bumbling force of power-happy jobsworth bullies spend their time parked dangerously on entry and exit lanes by the A55, trying to catch people going at 71mph.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    8,685

    Default

    That should not be allowed, why should one top policeman have the right to carry out his own personal vendetta against motorcyclists just for being on his patch?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •