Page 91 of 92 FirstFirst ... 418189909192 LastLast

Thread: What are you Doing Today.

Quote........."Secondly, Hospital food in France is excellent."That must be the only place where it is then, as hospital food, when I've been in hospital, that is, was horrible!I think we've had free prescriptions here in Scotland for some time now, well they are if your on benefits. I seem to remember paying 6.70 a time for them, back in the 80s?

Prescriptions are free in England for benefit claimants and pensioners. Also for some others like diabetics.

My personal experience of hospital food has not been that bad. Maybe I am not that fussy, but I found that so long as you make good choices, it is pretty reasonable.

I spent 6 days in hospital in France (Avranches) in 2008, and the food was excellent. Nurses all wore corporate clothing and were smartly dressed - there was a distinctly professional air about the place. My praise about the nurses being attractive and wearing lovely perfume was not well received by her indoors - cost me dear in refreshing her perfume stock!!!

I'm hoping to get a sleep tomorrow night, or afternoon, as the doctor is going to organise some respite for me, as I've only had three hours sleep in the past three nights?My wife has been really sick, but at least she gets a good sleep, during the day, once she has taken her morphine.Today, I did a full load of washing, and right after I had hung it all out, the rain came, if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all?......winking smiley.

I was stuck inside all day today, as no one turned up to let me go to the shops?At least my wife got a good sleep today, as that new type of morphine knocks her out, I could do with a kip as well, as. I was four times through last night, every two hours?

I made a porch hood a few weeks ago, out of recycled pine bunk beds. Today I got the chance to fill in the angle supports with some tongue and groove timber someone gave me. This will give better protection from the wind and rain.It was great to be outside again, and using tools, as it's been a while since I had time for such jobs. We have a Marie Curie sitter coming tonight, to sit with my wife, so at least I will get a good nights sleep, as I never got much kip last night?

Hope you're holding up OK smudger. Can't be easy. Best to you and Mrs Smudger as always.

Cheers Mike, now that we have over night sitters, from the Marie Curie volunteers, that come every second night, to sit with her, means I can have some kip, it's made a vast difference to both of us, and I'm not so tired all the time now.

We got that cowl fitted onto our chimney today, one of my wife's nieces got her partner to fit it for us. He was up the ladder, fitted it, then back down again, in ten minuets.When we were phoning round various firms to do the job, one of the went on for ages, banging on about health & safety! He said he would have to put up a scaffolding, and that the job would take Two days??Anyway, that should stop the rain and wind coming down it any more! and we will be able to hear our TV on windy days now, as it used to be so noisy.

Way of the world, smudger. Going back to the late 60's, our house at that time had a chimney stack which served the solid-fuel-fired water boiler (eventually the CH boiler). It was a long, slender stack with a short pot on top, and it had been possible to see smoke coming out of the stack at times. Enquiries about repairs brought some eye-watering quotes and, as with you, scaffolding was "a necessity".
    Then my F-I-L put me onto an olde worlde one man band general properties repairer. He came up with the idea of a short stack and a "Long Tom" pot. He did the work using just a ladder, and slid the pot up the ladder by resting it on his head. He did a brilliant job and what he charged me seemed so ridiculously small that I had to insist on giving him a bit extra. These guys are now a thing of the past, and were not really appreciated until their passing.