Page 92 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4282909192

Thread: What are you Doing Today.

Aye! Snowball, years ago, when I was fit,( before my accident) our chimney got damaged during a really bad storm. The insurance company was swamped with claims, but told me to go ahead and get it fixed, than send the the bill, ( as the cost was less than 100) So! I bought a new chimney and fitted it myself, (we had a three story house back then?) added 10 to the price of the new chimney, as a fitting fee, and sent them the invoice.They were well pleased at the low cost of my claim, so they gave me a reduction upon my renewal, job done.Those were the days Eh!

You mean, smudger, the days when businesses were run by ethically-minded professionals, who recognised their customers as human beings to be treated fairly and with respect? Yeah, memories!

You can still find them, even amongst younger people. Local former roofer (car accident victim who lost his job as a result) does lots of repairs for missing tiles etc. in emergencies for us. He's only able to work for a couple of hours at a time - won't take any money except for materials, but he has always got people dropping goodies into him and helping out if he needs it. Local plumber sorted a loo syphon for free and has provided me foc with various washers and the like - he knows full well I'll call him and pay full whack if needed but he's fair with his charges and, if it's a dead simple job, he's quite happy to give you detailed instructions (suitable for idiot proof female!) to dyi it! Smashed double-glazed made to measure hardwood window - local guy cost me less than the excess on the insurance - loads of similar circumstances. Even had some major treework (in sense it was a danger to the property) done foc because the guy could do it in an hour in between two other jobs and saved him hassle - again, he knows I'll call him for the big jobs - when Cooncil gives planning permission - if - maybe!).

Particularly with my caravan in tow, when we are going to campsite, beforehand I go on Google Earth and get the GPS co-ordinates which I enter into my TomTom. The other year, landing at Caen late evening, we arrived at our overnight stop after a 35 mile trip. I had entered the GPS for the reception area, although everywhere was quiet and pitch black (we had pre-arranged a very late arrival). The TomTom took us down an unnamed gravel track and straight onto the reception forecourt.
    I use the GPS far more often than postcodes because it is so accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesy_par View Post
    Particularly with my caravan in tow, when we are going to campsite, beforehand I go on Google Earth and get the GPS co-ordinates which I enter into my TomTom. The other year, landing at Caen late evening, we arrived at our overnight stop after a 35 mile trip. I had entered the GPS for the reception area, although everywhere was quiet and pitch black (we had pre-arranged a very late arrival). The TomTom took us down an unnamed gravel track and straight onto the reception forecourt.
    I use the GPS far more often than postcodes because it is so accurate.
    Er, and the point is.......?