Page 131 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131
Results 1,301 to 1,306 of 1306

Thread: What are you Doing Today.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    ............It looks like my next project is going to be the back fence, as the stormy weather has eventually got to it, and it's been flattened!😧
    We moved to a new (to us) home in 1985. In those days I occasionally spent the odd few days away from home here and there in the course of my work.
    First time away after moving, a length of our garden fence blew down. This I repaired, and next time away another length blew down.
    We are a bit exposed with playing fields to the rear. So I set to and rebuilt the fences all the way around, using concrete spurs on which to mount the posts. Glad I did - with these gales we are getting now I wouldn't want to try to do fencing repairs at my age!

Aye! I've been patching up that back fence for years, but now it's a complete rebuild! ............It's going to a big job, as I will doing it alone?........"......But I will wait until the weather is better.😇

There are a number of panels down on one of my fences. I thought that it belonged to next door and as the owner doesn't live there, I wrote and asked him to get it fixed. He didn't accept that the fence was his so I looked at the original deeds which actually make it clear that all fences are jointly owned. We have agreed to go halves which makes me happy as I get to choose which panels and which way round they go. Fortunately all the posts are concrete ans still sound.

I think it would be best if all garden boundary fences were shared. I had one side fence that was my responsibility, the other side the responsibility of my neighbour, and the bottom fence the responsibility of the local county council and which had the school caretaker's bungalow behind it. The latter was the hardest to get any interest in repairs. I took the initiative to rebuild all my fences, taking care to obey boundary lines which were fortunately still clearly defined, and now there cannot be any argument.
    Neighbours can be strange folk, though. Not ready to suggest a shared cost, but quite happy to nail their plant supports and other trivia to it.

I don't get in well with the bloke next door, we have "history" where police were involved? He is arrogant, noisy, pig ignorant, and threatening, (even the police found him, "hard work to deal with"Anyway, the front fence is completely down, and has been for months, but he has no intention of replacing it, even though he put it up?My back fence doesn't border his land, it borders my upstairs neighbour, who is the complete opposite of the bloke next door, and easy going.

When we moved to our present home, our neighbour whose house did not adjoin ours was a retired police sergeant and his wife. They owned the fence on that side, and it was in a poor state of repair. It was part pailing (his wife liked to know what was going on), and when some of the fence collapsed, I said I intended to have a traditional panel fence and that I would erect it on my side of the boundary and pay for the cost of the materials.
    This I did. His wife wasn't initially impressed with the resultant privacy, and her husband used to say, diplomatically, that good fences made good neighbours.

From a small child up to when we were married, I lived in a terraced house and learned neighbourly friendship and the willingness to help others. I carried on with this attitude and helped many neighbours after we moved into the more isolated life of semi-detached. A small few of my neighbours responded likewise but, as they passed/moved on, our present neighbours and near-neighbours tend not to follow this help-each-other code. One or two I have helped do not even speak readily now. Where has this friendship gone?