Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 4080888990

Thread: What are you Doing Today.

Sincere sympathies, tommytwotanks. My dad was diagnosed with the dreaded "C" at around 68 years old. This was back in 1967; they said it was untreatable, gave him 6 t0 18 months, so he got only palliative care. At mum's insistence, he was not informed of his condition - against my better judgement, but I had to concede. With the help of visiting nurses she nursed him at home - living some distance away and with two young children we could not help as much as we would have liked. I got the phone call in the early hours of a Saturday November morning and rushed over. He had slipped into a coma and it was just a matter of waiting. Towards the end, with no conclusion except watching him suffer, I was torn with guilt by wishing the end would come swiftly and release him from his suffering. It was about 12 months since he was diagnosed, and he was about half way through his 69th year.
    Just after I arrived, the District Nurse came to give him his morphine injection. When she hesitated I asked about what if he did recover (unlikely) and had not received the dose, and said I thought she should administer it. This she then did, and I later felt that she probably knew it would speed up the end, and possibly needed our approval to administer. I have never regretted this decision - like the suffering patient, the loved ones standing by helplessly can only take so much.
    Sincere regards also, to smudger and FJ. Snowball.

Snowball, that was exactly the same case I had with my Mother, the doctor lied to her saying that the treatment would really help her?It had the exact opposite effect, causing more suffering than was necessary, and like you said, I was grateful when the time eventually came, after 9 months of agony.She was diagnosed a week after my Dad died of a sudden heart attack, it was a bad time of my life, made even worse now that I seem to be seeing it happen all over again.

Make the most of it, Smudger, though I hope they find a way of mitigating Mrs S's pain quickly. X

Snowball, Smudger, that's really tough but know what you mean, though to post it here might mean huge repercussions for many people.

Thanks everyone for your kind words, it does get easier though, but it's helped my brother and myself doing all the sorting out, not that we have done much yet, but doing all the things that you need to do legally crossing the T's and dotting the I's so to speak, but it's give's you something to do, not that you want to do these thing's

once again, thank's everyone
    Last edited by tommytwotanks; 16-03-14 at 09:08.