Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4888969798

Thread: What are you Doing Today.

Aye! Santa, that's why I'm going to fly over,....... it's been ages since I last flew,....... my last time was in the early 90s when I crossed over Russia by Aeroflot to Moscow, (that was scary) then to Heathrow, in good old Blitey, after working in Baku for a few months.

My advice then for what it's worth. Travel light and take only hand luggage. Cheap airlines charge for checked baggage and if you only have what you can carry you don't have that long wait at the destination.

Beware of the size/weight regulations. They are really strict so look it up and stay within their rules. Of course you can wear a lot of stuff like a coat and your heavy shoes.

Remember the rules about taking liquids and sharp stuff on board. Buy some water after you pass security - I have often found that it is free with a newspaper, Worth checking.

Today I am sitting at home car-less.

Nine months ago I had the final two sections of the exhaust on my Mondeo replaced by F1 (Yeah - I know). A couple of weeks ago I saw some stringy stuff coming out of the tailpipe and last week I took it back to them. I didn't know that silencer boxes are stuffed with string?

They agreed that it was faulty and ordered the part; I went in yesterday (Thursday) morning (by appointment) and they said, "We can't order the part on warranties until we have the car in the shop...." OK, it was promised for 2pm so I drove home (yes - no car in the shop) and returned after lunch and waited and watched.

The final box had arrived, but when they (with some difficulty) got the old one off, they found that the problem was in the box on the other side.... grrr. They ordered that while I was there and it was promised for a 10:30 delivery today. I came home on the bus - at least I had my bus pass with me.

I had been assured that it would be ready by 12:00 and phoned them before leaving home, just to be sure. You guessed it - the part has not arrived. Apparently it comes from Manchester. It is now promised for tomorrow at 12:00. I live in hope - but have told them that if it does not, they must reassemble the faulty one so that I can drive to Portsmouth in the afternoon.

That's poor service, Santa. After all that, how do you feel about trusting the reassembly to get you to Portsmouth and back trouble-free?

On several occasions I have used our local Formula 1 for the fitting of new tyres although, even if I order two, I take them one at a time and do the wheel removal/refit myself.

Cheers Santa, like I said it's been a while since I've flown anywhere, and things have changed a lot after 9/11........I won't be taking my luggage anyway, as I will only be staying a few days..........I'm quite looking forward to it, as I've been stuck in the house for the last few years...........and this will be my chance to get a break........I've got my work party to attend on board HMY in May, which I'm also looking forward to, as I've missed the last two.

Smudger - have you been/when are you going? If been, how did it go?

Hi FJ, my sister is coming here in June, to help me pack up a all my late wife's clothes, then I'm going back with he to Holland, to stay for a while with her, then it fly back..............But, before that, I have my annual week long "Work Party" on board the Yacht, which is in Leith, at the end of May, to do first.........I'm really looking forward to that, as I've missed the last two years, as I couldn't get anyone to look after my wife, so had to stay home?................Mean while, I'm keeping myself busy by painting all the fencing, two sheds and a summer house, so that keeps my mind occupied these days.