Page 107 of 107 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1070

Thread: What are you Doing Today.

Snowball: I upgraded from W7 to W10 a few weeks ago and it mostly worked fine. I did a good clearout first using Ccleaner (excellent and free) and the "pressed the button". Some time later, it is not a quick process, W10 was up and running.

I have deleted all those W8 type boxes as they are really meant for touch screens and I use Chrome rather than Edge, but apart from a minor problem with my mouse, it all works fine.

Go on - bite the bullet.

Aye! Snowball, there is no catch, it is totally free, and once installed it runs a lot faster, it's also a lot easier to use. A few changes,....programs are now called Apps, (as that's what the youngsters like to call them) ...............It's a lot easier to navigate around your computer, as it all comes up on screen................One thing though, you can't pick and choose your updates anymore, as they are automatically installed, but still got for it. ................Make sure your computer can be upgraded first, as I had to install a new graphics card, and a sound card. Good luck.😇

Still thinking about it. Found a website that gave seven reasons for not changing to Windows 10. According to this, Windows 10 is not complete and it seems that it can continually go through changes. The nearest explanation that I can imagine is that Windows 10 users will be subject to ongoing developments which may, or may not, be satisfactory to their needs - i.e., they cannot stay with an OS (e.g., Windows 7 which I am on) if they don't like a later OS. Microsoft do not give something for free without strings. If I change my computer for one with a Windows OS in the near future, I will buy one with Windows 8.1, which is still available in the stores.
    However, our daughter and her family are on AppleMac and swear by it - her husband is in a profession heavily reliant on computer usage, so mediocrity is absolutely unacceptable to him. AppleMac is comparatively very expensive, but I have not yet decided whether or not to take the plunge and go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Still thinking about it. Found a website that gave seven reasons for not changing to Windows 10. According to this, Windows 10 is not complete and it seems that it can continually go through changes. The nearest explanation that I can imagine is that Windows 10 users will be subject to ongoing developments which may, or may not, be satisfactory to their needs - i.e., they cannot stay with an OS (e.g., Windows 7 which I am on) if they don't like a later OS. Microsoft do not give something for free without strings. If I change my computer for one with a Windows OS in the near future, I will buy one with Windows 8.1, which is still available in the stores.
    However, our daughter and her family are on AppleMac and swear by it - her husband is in a profession heavily reliant on computer usage, so mediocrity is absolutely unacceptable to him. AppleMac is comparatively very expensive, but I have not yet decided whether or not to take the plunge and go for it.
    I imagine that you could find websites that give reasons to not change to any new development. Windows has always been subject to updates and upgrades and some people don't like that they are set at automatic in W10. Frankly I have always allowed them even though, a few years ago, I had to wind it back because it messed up.

W8.1 has been almost universally despised. W7, which I had was a lot better than that and W10 seems to offer some improvements. I doubt that you could buy a new PC with 8.1 on it now.

It's free to upgrade to W10 until next Summer, after which it would cost. Many have misunderstood this to mean some kind of subscription after 12 months, but that has been categorically denied by Microsoft.

The PC Apple debate has been going on for years with both sides firmly convinced that theirs is the best. I have used both and in my opinion, for what it's worth, is that Apple offers nothing that Windows doesn't. Not only that, and this is the killer for me, Apple makes you do everything through them - you may find that some things simply don't work. If the cost was the same, it might come down to style, but to pay a premium for it is like buying designer jeans I think; a triumph of style and marketing over substance.

Santa, my computer is actually a 15.6" laptop - it is a Toshiba with Windows 7, which I purchased mid-2009 from Argos - better price than PC World. Having given good service for six years, it seems sensible to start by looking at laptops of the same make as a starting point for replacing.
    Both Argos and PC World are advertising desk top computers and laptops with Windows 8.1 OS - from what I can see, in every case Windows 10 comes as an optional free upgrade.
    As I said in a previous post, a PCW tecky told me that if I wasn't impressed with Windows 7, then I wouldn't like Windows 8.

My S-I-L is well up in computing, and would not have stayed with Apple if it wasn't a satisfactory and reliable product. The jury is still out for me, as I do have to consider the cost compared with what I get. I may go to PC World and get a hands-on feel for Windows 8.1, and some advice on pros and cons along with Windows 10 benefits/down sides before committing myself.

Aye! This I/Pad is Apple, and it's no bother as regards security for viruses and the like. It does everything I need it to, I've got a program for writing documents and so on, it can take photos and video, I face time my sister every night with it...................If I was a heavy computer user I would get an Apple Computer, but since I got this I/Pad I hardly use my desk top and lap top. ..............I used to use the desk top for the writing of the short stories that I used to do, but since my wife passed, I've never even thought of writing any more? ......................."Maybe when the short days come, I might take up the writing again, but it will be on this pad, as I find easier for typing, and the auto spell checker is great, as it changes your mistakes for you.😎

I was under impression that upgrading for free to Win 10 was M-softs marketing strategy to 'apologise' to users of Win 8 / 8.1 'cos they messed up, but to 'disguise' this they make it available to Win 7 users too, and try to retain their market share. For me, I defo had virus activity b4 upgrading, which I now (in last month) don't appear to have, so still plan a 'repair' 'cos think virus prob'ly in 'old' Win7 system still on 'puter. None of us have had Win 10 long enough yet to swear to reliability, and already receiving 'updates'..so no diff'rent to before.

I see PC World offering Toshiba (among others) laptops from about £250 upwards, and fer about £600 you certainly get a decent product. Even the lower priced models have 8Gb memory and 1 TB storage..thas a lot, double in both cases wot I got on this pc. Macs sorta start at the £600 line and go well over a 'grand'..but many quote only 250 Gb storage..1/4 that of those above. Basically, you cud get 2 Tosh / Acer..wotever, laptops for the price of one Mac..mebbe thas an 'alternatative' way to go..(?) My wifie gotta 'quite-new' Toshi laptop, mebbe 500 GB drive..just upgraded to Win 10 as well..all ok..she findin' it easier than Win 8...but if you not in a rush to 'upgrade'..why not wait..(wasn't aware the upgrade offer runs to July next year)..mebbe we'll all crash..lol

hope this helps..brian

As with a lot of things, the "best" is the one we are familiar with. My main objection to Apple is my reluctance to be tied to a particular brand. I can choose my own browser (Chrome or Firefox on this comp), my own word processor (Word for me every time) and easily install add-ons like Dragon Naturally Speaking for dictation.

I have the same feeling about broadband/phone/TV packages. It's not that there is something inherently wrong with them (although I hear Sky is tricky to cancel) but I don't want all my eggs in the same basket.

Apple enthusiasts quote the low incidence of viruses as a major plus. This was certainly true once, but the playing field may be levelling off.
    Yes, Iím sure that Apple is more secure than many to most other software systems. But Iím equally certain that the criminals arenít going to give up given the size of the population they can aim at now. No, I donít think it will get as bad as it did with Windows for a time: but it could at the very least get very boring and annoying having to fight off such malware attacks on systems that have traditionally been free of them. And the seriousness of Appleís problem is that theyíre not, as yet at least, used to dealing with this particular problem. Quite apart from anything else there isnít the ecosystem of anti-virus software writers as there is for Windows.
    I use AVG (free) on my computer and three or four times a year scan it with Spybot. It's yeas since I had any problems and they were entirely my own fault for visiting a 'dodgy' site. I also have an adblocker which stops those annoying advertisements from popping up on forums etc. Does Apple have one?

Well I've never seen a pop-up on this I/Pad or my phone, yet having said that, I've never had pop-ups on my computers either, and I've them for twelve years now.From what I've seen of Windows10 so far, it's easier to use, and a lot faster as well. I never had Windows 8, and my lap top has Vista in it, and that works a treat for me as well.

All my PC's are well old now - getting on for 10 years. Just treated myself to this Toshiba from PCW, £699 plus I get 10% cashback back so will end up costing me £630. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comput...33425-pdt.html It's a laptop with a touchscreen that can be folded right back and be used as a tablet. Came with windows 8.1 but I've upgraded it to Windows 10. I've never used windows 8 onwards so it's all new to me. I have an iPad but this is a better size for my ailing eyesight!
    Last edited by Motman; 01-09-15 at 15:11.