Page 157 of 168 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 1677

Thread: What are you Doing Today.

Our nephew and his wife live in France. He is retired (70) but she isn't on a pension yet and does not work. They pay nothing regarding the French equivalent of council tax, and EDF automatically give him a substantial rebate on his electricity bill. Johnson and crowd didn't mention that benefit, did they?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Our nephew and his wife live in France. He is retired (70) but she isn't on a pension yet and does not work. They pay nothing regarding the French equivalent of council tax, and EDF automatically give him a substantial rebate on his electricity bill. Johnson and crowd didn't mention that benefit, did they?
    We don't get that in the UK from the Eu so why would they have mentioned it? If we are in or out we wouldn't get it.

And yes - French pensioners do very well compared to us - the problems are for the workers who have to pay for it all with their taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    And yes - French pensioners do very well compared to us - the problems are for the workers who have to pay for it all with their taxes.
    Our taxes are not exactly light, and we still pay a premium for our foodsfuff, regardless of claims in some quarters that food prices have dropped.
    It is necessary to add together all one's daily living costs and all our taxes to arrive at a true figure. If the French did the same, then they may still be better off overall.

Aye! Santa, and it makes you feel great because you did all on your own, I remember the first time I changed the ink cartridge in my complicated printer. I was well chuffed😎.......................................... ...I modified the bird feeder today, by fitting a glass roof in it, to keep the seed dry, as it was always soggy when I went to refill it................................................ I just did that to stay out side really, but then the rain came and stopped me from doing anything more?..................What happened to our summer then?😟

Quote Originally Posted by alan1302 View Post
    We don't get that in the UK from the Eu so why would they have mentioned it? If we are in or out we wouldn't get it.
    And are you surprised? Shows everything about the EU isn't bad though. Wonder if it only applies in France. Like the UK government, I imagine that many EU countries pick and choose some of their rules individually.

The EU does only cover certain rules/laws in the UK and then we are free to do what we like on the others.

I'd still be happier out than in though - trade in one thing but deciding rules/laws is not what I want them to be doing.

Today, I'm going in for a drink induced hernia operation. I say drink induced because I'm convinced I felt it happen over two years ago when I had a bottle of wine between my legs with a stubborn cork and was pulling and tugging with all my might when I felt something go 'pop' and it wasn't the cork! Going in at 12:00 so I was up at 5:00 having some breakfast. Last cup of tea at 8:00 and I've got about 10 minutes left before I must stop taking all fluids. Only ever had one operation before and that too was a hernia but that was when I was a child over 50 years ago! Right, must go and have my last drink. If I don't pull through, it's been nice talking to you!

If you are still around - good luck.

Oh - and buy one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prezzybox-C.../dp/B000GG4YFA

Thanks. That is the exact corkscrew we have at home but we were away for the new year with a group of friends and I forgot to take it - ended up using the T-bar one in the place we were renting. Had to put my feet up after the incident as it felt like I'd been kicked in the Crown Jewels. Everyone there thought it was bloody hilarious!