Page 46 of 91 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Doing Today.

No Mike, Ive had AVG (free version) as my security for ages now, its the toolbar that I disabled back then, that has now corrupted the new version of Firefox, (which upgraded last night)
    Now I cant even uninstall that, to put in the old version? So now I'm using Internet Explorer, which is now causing problems as well?

All I want to do is delete the AVG toolbar, but for some reason, I cant?

I get so far by following the instructions, then nothing, as I cant see the link they say should be there,??????????

Just came back to say Ive cracked it!!! Managed to uninstall the updated version, and put the 3.6 Version back in, all seems OK now, (fingers crossed)

Last edited by smudger; 20-03-12 at 20:50.

You might try, should you have trouble again, right clicking on the tool bar to see if a menu pops up.
    Look at, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs (or win7 equivalent) to see if it is showing in there; if so remove it off the computer.

I managed to fix it at last, took a long time, but by taking out AVG completely, while in safe mode, then replacing it with AVAST (free version) then I searched and found the very latest version of Firefox, and installed that. Now all is OK

Well chuffed to get it going again,

yes i had something like that a while back and i had to remove firefox and re-install with the lastest version, on my computer i have free advanced system care 5, free avg 2012 and free malwarebytes anti-malware i use all 3 on a regular basis, everything seems to be ok at the moment

On my last computer (Windows 95) I had the free version of AVG. For quite a while everything was OK, then the screen suddenly went into enlarged print, and it just would not operate properly, plus you had to move the cursor around because the full screen was larger than the VDU. I had a word with a technical engineer friend who works at PCWorld. As soon as I said that I was using AVG he told me that a virus had probably corrupted the machine, and that AVG free version was not very secure. He recommended Norton or McFee.
    I think the AVG free version always trails behind the paid for version. Seems logical - there's no such thing as a free lunch, is there?

As the PC was getting on a bit I bought a new 162 screen laptop with Windows7, and Norton security software.

Windows XP and I am 99% sure W95 look at bottom right of window, there is an icon marked 100% that changes text/screen size. Not sure about win7.

I have been catching up on Iplayer; these two programs may be of interest to some. First has a bit about sound and cars, the difficulty of controlling a car without sound is interesting.
    Second is on digital data, makes you think.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...s_6_Episode_2/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...s_6_Episode_3/

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    I managed to fix it at last, took a long time, but by taking out AVG completely, while in safe mode, then replacing it with AVAST (free version) then I searched and found the very latest version of Firefox, and installed that. Now all is OK

Well chuffed to get it going again,
    I had Firefox for a while but needed too many add ons and it sometimes would not work with some Adobe Reader programs. So kicked it out and installed the latest Google Chrome. This for me is the fastest most reliable system I can find. And its security was quicker at detecting dodgy stuff than Spyware Doctor although the Doctor did find it a few seconds later. It is a huge improvement on earlier versions and start up time is much faster too.

Yea! I tried Chrome in our desk top which has Windows 7 in it, but I went back to Firefox, as Chrome was making things a lot more difficult for me?

Wagolynn, that program about no sound reminds me of a prog I watched some years ago. They anaesthatized a pilot's Glutus Maximus and found he couldn't 'safely' land on a simulator.