Page 81 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Doing Today.

I get fed up with them, if its not them, its sky tv or now the recession might be ending we have the double glazing/conservatory people back at the supermarkets/d.i.y stores

Smudger, im pleased youre having a little less stress, but i guess its still stressful, but you need a little time for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by tommytwotanks View Post
    I get fed up with them, if its not them, its sky tv or now the recession might be ending we have the double glazing/conservatory people back at the supermarkets/d.i.y stores
    Yep, cold callers are getting more aggressive - had one a few days ago, trying to get me to have my roof ridge changed from tiles to continuous cap, and only 450 quid! He was quite abrupt when I told him, politely, that I wasn't interested.
    Saw a programme on TV a few nights ago about shop girls of times past. One store (forget name) had a policy of not harassing customers. A "can I help you" got the assistant dismissed immediately - a mighty bit different to today's floor assistants!

Smudger, im pleased youre having a little less stress, but i guess its still stressful, but you need a little time for yourself
    Very difficult time for anyone in your position, smudger. our son's father-in-law has advanced Parkinsons. His wife would, under normal circumstances, be considered to be in a healthy state, but the burden is wearing her down - such that our son confided to me that she could "go" before her husband. And working families are limited in when they can help.

An interesting anecdote. Our nephew (he's 68) and his wife live in France, and now come under French health rules. A few weeks ago they were both called in for a 'well-man', 'well-woman' check. Everything was completed in one day, and they were given copies of the results. Also, would you believe it? - the French have a system based on car type and distance from home to medical centre and, using this scale, they were reimbursed with the cost of travelling to and from the clinic.

The French system has a lot going for it, but remember that visits to a GP are not free but cost €23 per visit (in 2013), which many people can recover (all but €6) through insurance. Go to the pharmacy for a prescription, and you have to pay again - some or all of this can be recovered through the state or private insurance schemes.

In short, you have to be prepared to pay up front, and wait to get the money back. As in the UK, some people (OAPs etc) get it all back, while younger people may only get half or even less.

Any suggestion of introducing payments to GPs in this country has always been shouted down.

Cool

In some constituent parts of the UK (Wales for example) prescriptions are free.

Secondly, Hospital food in France is excellent.

Quote........."Secondly, Hospital food in France is excellent."That must be the only place where it is then, as hospital food, when I've been in hospital, that is, was horrible!I think we've had free prescriptions here in Scotland for some time now, well they are if your on benefits. I seem to remember paying £6.70 a time for them, back in the 80s?

Prescriptions are free in England for benefit claimants and pensioners. Also for some others like diabetics.

My personal experience of hospital food has not been that bad. Maybe I am not that fussy, but I found that so long as you make good choices, it is pretty reasonable.

I spent 6 days in hospital in France (Avranches) in 2008, and the food was excellent. Nurses all wore corporate clothing and were smartly dressed - there was a distinctly professional air about the place. My praise about the nurses being attractive and wearing lovely perfume was not well received by her indoors - cost me dear in refreshing her perfume stock!!!

I'm hoping to get a sleep tomorrow night, or afternoon, as the doctor is going to organise some respite for me, as I've only had three hours sleep in the past three nights?My wife has been really sick, but at least she gets a good sleep, during the day, once she has taken her morphine.Today, I did a full load of washing, and right after I had hung it all out, the rain came, if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all?......winking smiley.

I was stuck inside all day today, as no one turned up to let me go to the shops?At least my wife got a good sleep today, as that new type of morphine knocks her out, I could do with a kip as well, as. I was four times through last night, every two hours?

I made a porch hood a few weeks ago, out of recycled pine bunk beds. Today I got the chance to fill in the angle supports with some tongue and groove timber someone gave me. This will give better protection from the wind and rain.It was great to be outside again, and using tools, as it's been a while since I had time for such jobs. We have a Marie Curie sitter coming tonight, to sit with my wife, so at least I will get a good nights sleep, as I never got much kip last night?