Page 86 of 93 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Doing Today.

Hi FJ, hope you had a great Crimbo, we are hoping we can get our own GP, as with my wife being terminal the locum ones tend to panic, and admit her to hospital?

I'm getting the hang of this now......even got the print to go blue!

How dare you - I get issues every time I use this site!!!!

As you might expect, very low down key Christmas n Was going well (even managed to get our turkey lunch sorted almost on time as - with all the gales - didn't want to do anything until knew we had power Christmas Day) till Mum got really distressed over presents (all little things) - it had got through that she couldn't do anything for us and had remembered past Christmas'. Went downhill after that. So not easy and it's been a hard day today. But one of the ladies who help us care for Mum brought in home-made shortbread and tablet for her and she's scoffed it. How kind people are.

Amazing day with weather - glorious blue wall to wall skies and calm (darn cold though!) at 3pm and blowing a hoolie by 7pm - it's been very scary but wind shifting a bit. Additional worries over neglected trees and son has moved out of his room downstairs for the night. Mobile phone masts gone again earlier; nothing on Vodaphone, O2 or EE except emergency and that's not a lot of use when we're currently isolated with ferries not running. The fun really starts when we lose power and the landlines go down as they did the other week.

Smudger, I know you take it as accepted that you'll look after Mrs Smudger but, unless individuals have been in the same position, they really do not know what 24/7/365 actually means. You have my admiration. Keep safe.

Hi, smudger - really sorry to hear Mrs Smudger is poorly again - hope things get sorted to your satisfaction. I think FJ's last sentence sums up the situation perfectly.
    Our daughter and her husband have close friends (only around forty) where the wife is very disabled due to a botched operation, and they have two young children. The husband had to give up a good career to be her full time carer. despite this, he still finds time to be concerned over anything his friends might suffer - fantastic guy really. Glad to say that, although our daughter, and especially our S-I-L, have a busy schedule, they make time to involve them in any social plans.
    The lady is very TV dependent, and a short time ago she happened to put her distress on Facebook when her TV crashed. Typical of our S-I-L, without a word to anyone, he dashed out and came back with a new TV for her (obviously her husband doesn't have that sort of cash so readily to hand), for which he would accept no payment. Must say, it brought a lump to our throats when we found out.

smudger, on subject of Samsung Galaxy, no creditable, detailed operating instructions appear to be available anywhere. Probably not a problem for users at the top end of the technology, but I wouldn't put myself even close to that bracket. If, as the government seem to hope, everyone is to become computer literate, then a more simplified openness has to happen.
    In the early days of computers, I recall the Cambridge Ring, where it was almost a reserved set up for the elite few; even the terminology being wrapped up in a mystic fog.

Thanks for your posts folks, much appreciated, I had to call the doctor in today, as we were up a few times last night?

I was in town today trying to get a new mattress for her bed, but with it being an adjustable bed, they are quite expansive, around 230, and that's after we claim the VAT back, (after producing proof of DLA) and she wont get one, despite the fact that we could afford it.

So, I'm going to give her my mattress off my adjustable bed, and get a cheap one for myself, (well lets face it, I'm not in it that much anyway )
    Any way, hope you all have a good New Year!

How are things, Smudger? Hope Mrs S feeling better. Had a bad w/end here too but ..! Have the best Hogmanay you can! FJ x

Cheers for that FJ, she is feeling a bit better today, so while her lad sat with her, I went to Asda and got us both some bargains in their clothes sale!
    I got some real bargains as well, that cheered us up a bit!

Hope you all have a great Hogmanay, and wish you all the best for 2014.

Smudger, nothing but best wishes for you and Mrs Smudger, from me and mine.

Thank you, Smudger.

I went out and spent a lot yesterday - on on date food to shunt in the freezer!! I'm thinking that we won't get our fireworks after the Bells tonight - usually watch them from the house - it's blowing a hoolie and pouring at the moment and ferries on Amber alert!

As we sit in our warm comfortable houses, full of Christmas pud and wine, it is sobering to think of those less fortunate. Like our internet friends, whose relatives may not see another one; like those poor people who were not only without power, but were up to their ankles in freezing water; and like all those we don't hear or see, who spent this time alone. And, of course, our own friends and neighbours.

We do not tend to do much at new year. and will probably be in bed. But my wife and I will raise a glass to everyone who, for whatever reason, is hoping fervently that 2014 will be an improvement on the previous year.

So - a happy new year to one and all, and may all that you wish for come true.

Can only echo everyone else's sentiments - hoping 2014 brings Mrs Smudger better health. Have a good and safe new year's eve, everyone and I'll see you in 2014.