Thread: vauxhall astra... cost for head gasket?

Angry vauxhall astra... cost for head gasket?

I bought the car off ebay, driving it home an hours drive it overheated. took it to local garage and the said that the head gasket was porous and that it would cost 1000 plus to fix... could someone tell me if this is a reasonable price?. the car, apart from this big problem, is great and I wouln't mind spending a couple of hundred to get it fixed. its a p reg diesel estate. I hope my 245 hasn't gone down the toilet

Are you sure the cylinder head is porous-or do you mean the haed gasket has failed and this may mean the cylinder head is warped? If this is the case then you could be into that sort cost depending on cost of parts/labour etc.

well i'm not too sure. there isn't any water in the oil and I can drive it but it uses a lot ...and I mean a hell of a lot of water and theres a lot of pressure build up. after posting my prob i found that there was a split in the pipe to the water tank.. so I taped that up and left the lid loose on the water tank. it seems to stop it overheating if I drive under 40 mph.
    do you think that it may be fixable

lorien

if there is a lot of pressure build up this would indicate that the cooling system is being pressurised.The first thing to do is have a block test done,this is done by using a sniffer with a chemical fluid that will turn a different colour if combustion gases are detected in the coolant.If this test proves positive then the cylinder head will need to be removed and check for any warpage and the appropriate action taken.

Is that a quote from the main vauxhall dealer?? Whatever the reason for the overheating & water loss it should cost nowhere near that kinda cash to sort it out.. as it's been overheated it's safe to assume that the head will be warped & needs skimming but that's only a 35-40 job (at least here in Teesside it is).. Even if the head is trashed you could get a decent 2nd hand one complete for less than a couple of hundred quid, after all the GM diesel engine isn't exactly a rarity!