View Poll Results: Mini-roundabout. 12 o'clock turning right. Give way?

Voters
27. This poll is closed
  • Yes

15 55.56%
  • No

8 29.63%
  • Not Sure

4 14.81%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini-roundabout right-of-way question

Default Mini-roundabout right-of-way question

Opinions sought!

At a mini-roundabout, should you give way to a car that is at your 12 o'clock and indicating a right turn?

I'm not sure what the rule is and have been debating it this evening.

For me, the Highway Code does not really state a rule.

Please give me your opinion on my precise question. Imagine the two cars reaching the line at the same moment.

Cheers.

If you mean the car is at 12 o'clock to your position, there is no need to give way. If you both drive at a sensible speed and drive around the roundabout as opposed to across it, you would never conflict.

Depends If they are actually 'on' the roundabout or not.

Thanks for your answers.

Interesting that you both seem to be basically answering "no". All the other 3 I was with were saying "yes".

Also, it seems from experience that most drivers drive as if the car turning right has right of way.

I'm just not sure.

The basic law is that you give way to traffic on the roundabout coming from your right. In the situation you describe, neither has traffic on the roundabout coming from the right to give way to, therefore, you can both proceed.

There isn't in my opinion,any need to give way to anyone, if your both 'head on' at a round-about then you can both proceed without any issues depending on speed and other road users...

Default Mini-roundabouts

I don't see what the problem is. I fail to see why no-one understands how to use these stupid damned things properly, but here we go yet again!!

If you actually read it, The Highway Code is quite clear - on approaching a mini-roundabout, you must give way to traffic approaching from your right, or already on the roundabout, UNLESS road markins/signs indicate otherwise.

On 99.99% of mini-roundabouts ONE of the entrances will have a double broken line (AND a GIVE WAY sign on a pole). This usually, but not always, placed on what used to be the "main road" before some inbecile installed the roundabout.

If the give way wasn't there, the situation can arise where no-one actually has right of way because you are both on the right of each other! What happens in practise is that, for some reason I cannot understand, anyone wishing to turn right through the GIVE WAY assumes they have right of way!

Please explain to me how turning right anywhere negates a give way sign anywhere.

Default mini-roundabouts

Oh, and the poll is wrong! As I have explained, it depends on the layout of the roundabout, so all those who ticked one box or the other are wrong!

You are correct Watcher but I think there are too many drivers waiting outside of the pearly gates muttering, “I had right of way”.
    Therefore, my strategy is, unless the opposite cars body language (mostly speed in this case) is absolutely clear, I just assume it will turn right – no matter what it is or is not indicating. The 4 or 5 sec lost is nothing to the 30 to 60 min exchanging insurance details and organising clearing away after a collision.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    Therefore, my strategy is, unless the opposite cars body language (mostly speed in this case) is absolutely clear, I just assume it will turn right no matter what it is or is not indicating. The 4 or 5 sec lost is nothing to the 30 to 60 min exchanging insurance details and organising clearing away after a collision.
    In London only about 1 in 10 drivers seem to actually know how to correctly indicate on a roundabout or which lane they should be in.

Just like you,If in any doubt I wait because it would be very hard to fight with the view of 'he wasn't signalling correctly' and it saves all the time and hassle.