Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone experienced car cloning?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    Are the companies based in the UK? I mean that regarding the number plates on E bay. You now have to show your V5 as well as personal ID such as driving licence when you buy specific number plates now. So I do not know how that can be legally donme on E bay.
    I suspect the plates you buy on eBay don't comply with the regs. In particular, they have to display

- The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)
    - The name, trademark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier (The company that made the plate)
    - Name and postcode of the supplying outlet.

If/when some police officer looks closely, a COFP for £100 is likely.

Geez! with all that information on them, I'm surprised there is any room left for the number itself?

Beelzebub, I have searched the Gov.uk website and can not find info you mention, also checked out INF104, (pamphlet on number plates issued by DVLA). Neither seem to mention BS marks, postcodes etc. Where is the info please?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    Beelzebub, I have searched the Gov.uk website and can not find info you mention, also checked out INF104, (pamphlet on number plates issued by DVLA). Neither seem to mention BS marks, postcodes etc. Where is the info please?
    Try page 8 of that pamphlet!

The relevant legislation is The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001, Schedule 2(1(a)). There may be later amendments.

After reading that post last night, I was looking at reg. plates on a lot of cars today, while I was out and about, only a few of them had that information printed on them in small print?

Most of them hardly had anything on them, apart from the reg. number.

Beelzebub, thank you. Found info and checked my plates. As Smudger says above, I had to look for that on my plates, finally found it all 'etched/moulded' into the plastic.

Hi Guys!

1st time here, Some dodgy car cloniing stories here, Mine was´t as bad as the one from Blackpool.. but there goes, I went to Sicily this Summer with my girlfriend... amazing place... really you guys should give it a go if you haven´t been yet... and you gte the chance to drive a Fiat 500 with the maniacs in Sicily. Nevertheless I had booked a car with Hertz and after a "standard" waiting time of four hours I got my car... a beautiful Fiat 500, inmaculate, dark grey really cool design and powerful engine, only to see the exact same car, with the EXACT same plate as ours been washed in the parking lot on our way out... we noticed we were not the only ones... I guess some things only happen in Sicily... still worth the visit.

Welcome to the site Mike, I wonder if the other Fiat was also a "hire car?" did you tell them about that when you returned the car?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Welcome to the site Mike, I wonder if the other Fiat was also a "hire car?" did you tell them about that when you returned the car?
    Yeah :-) I did since I do speak some italian... but it was Sicily mate, an innocent smile, shrug of the shoulders with the expression "you know how it is" is what I got... clichés really do come true here and there mate.

Default Probably the most recent victim of car cloning

Hi everyone
    First of all I'm new to this site.
    Secondly I have to admit I'm a victim of car cloning scam. I have bought a vehicle for a good faith off some private seller and paid good amount of cash for it. In three weeks time after the deal the car was seized by police saying it's a cloned vehicle and special examination to identify the vehicle was carried out by police.
    It turned out that vehicle had different identity (VIN number) and it was stolen two months ago. It owner is some indurance company and the car has to be returned back to the insurance company. So now I'm left with no money (£15000) ad no car either. Has anyone here heard anything familiar to this case? I would really appreciate if anyone can get back to me on this matter and give me some sort of advice on where to go to solve this problem. Thank you so much in advance.