Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone experienced car cloning?

Default Has anyone experienced car cloning?

Hello, I was just wondering if anybody here was on the worng end of car cloning? Any details/information you could share?

Welcome to the site Arran, I know for a fact that if I had been caught out like that, I would feel too embarrassed to admit to it on an open forum page.

Mind you, that's just my thought on the subject, many others would, if they thought it was going to help anyone from falling for the same thing.

Default Cloning

Don't see how you can be "caught out" by it, as it is something that criminals are alleged to do to avoid fines, etc, by looking for a car of the same type, model and colour and copying the number plate - which is why the law has now been changed and it is much more difficult to buy a replacement plate.

I have no direct personal experience, but a year or two back a friend of mine was extremely shocked to receive what can only be described as a blizzard of demands for unpaid London Congestion Charges, and NIPs for speeding (again all round London). He'd only had his car for a few months and fortunately was able to produce his work diary as incontravertable evidence that neither he nor his car had ever been within 200 miles of London!

Eventually all charges were dropped.

So far I have not been caught.
    If the criminals are using a stolen log book document, no matter where you check, short of contacting previous owners, you are going to get caught.
    In my opinion if one of the stolen documents is used, the DVLA should compensate the victim. See http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/DVLA-reform/

Yes, I've had one of my previous cars cloned.
    It started with a call from Blackpool police:...
    "are you the owner of Landrover Discovery ABC123 ? (obviously not the real VRM)"
    Me. "Yes, why?"
    Police:"It was seen doing various illegal offences in xxxx street in Blackpool last night"
    Me; "Well it wasn't this vehicle, it was sat on my drive last night, and I was in the Pub at that time"
    Police; "Do you have any witnesses? and is you vehicle free for anyone else to use?"
    Me: "Yes to the witnesses, and no for anyone else, and I also had the keys with me"
    Police, "Thank you, obviously there's some sort of mistake"
    Me " Can I have a log number for this incident, in case I get further problems?" (Thinking something fishy going on here!)
    Police; "Yes, it's log number xxx of yesterdays date"
    >>>>>> end of conversation <<<<<<<<

Now I need also to mention that Blackpool is only 28 miles away from were I live.

Move forwards 1 week.....................

Letter in the post; Notice of intended Persecution, Speeding on yyyy road in Blackpool just 3 days earlier.

So I typed out a nice letter, saying that I believe my vehicle has been cloned, quoted the police log of the previous incident. Offered to send them photo's of both front & rear of my vehicles so they could compare with the photo of the one caught on camera(camera offence) and also mentioned that I was some 250 miles away at the time marshalling at Silverstone racetrack. If they wished I could supply them the contact details of the Chief Marshal,and Sector Marshal, should they wish to confirm that I was there.

I got a *OK we'll not prosecute this time, but don't do it again* type letter.

A couple of weeks later, I came out of a shop to find 2 police motorcyclist giving at a good looking at. I said to them "No. It's not the one that did whatever it did in Blackpool, but the real one that actually belongs to the registartion number"

They said "Yes we can see that, it not the same vehicle"
    So I asked them "If you guys so far away from Blackpool know about it, and have seen pictures of the offending vehicle, it's not just speeding you want it for then?"
    To which they replyed. "No, armed robbery actually!"

To that, I was bloody glad that I could account for my whereabouts at the time!!!!!

Unhappy Car Cloning

I think my wife has been the victim of this crime. Since 2003 she has owned a Nissan Micra, giving it to my son in November 2007.
    My son went to part exchange the car and the garage ran an HPI check on it. The reply was that "the car was reported stolen and written off on Sept 17th 2007, and is a Category A write off".
    However, the car has never been stolen whilst in her or my son's possession, they did not report it stolen, and have been driving it every day.
    My question is: what can now be done? I ran my own HPI check, with the same result.
    Is it worth going to the police or should I contact DVLA direct?

Welcome to the site Cwompo, it could be that the car has been "cloned" what they do is steal another one, same colour/model, (or botch repair one) then use your number plate to register it.

If you do contact the DVLA, chances are they will send plod round, to take the car away, until you can prove that your one is in fact the original/legal one?
    Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwompo View Post
    I think my wife has been the victim of this crime. Since 2003 she has owned a Nissan Micra, giving it to my son in November 2007.
    My son went to part exchange the car and the garage ran an HPI check on it. The reply was that "the car was reported stolen and written off on Sept 17th 2007, and is a Category A write off".
    However, the car has never been stolen whilst in her or my son's possession, they did not report it stolen, and have been driving it every day.
    My question is: what can now be done? I ran my own HPI check, with the same result.
    Is it worth going to the police or should I contact DVLA direct?
    Contact the insurers of the car for the period it was suppose to have been written off, they should have no record of it being written off of course. If they are feelling helpful they should be able to advise on how to set the record straight, failing that try citizenís advice.

Even some cars we see on second hand dealers forecourts could be cloned, or cut and shut jobs?

So the £3 they charge for that Text Check could save you a lot of trouble

It is always worth checking as much as possible before handing over cash.

Carefully check chassis plate numbers and where the Chassis number is stamped into the body itself.

• Never buy a car at the side of the road or a 'meet' location.
    • Ask to see the log book and get the previous owners details and contact them - Most people are quite happy to help.
    • If anything seems suspicious - walk away.