Thread: 2005 Ford Focus 1.6 zetec

Default 2005 Ford Focus 1.6 zetec

Hello there

I'm new to this forum thing so please excuse me.

I have got a 2005 ford focus 1.6 zetec with central locking problems. It started a few weeks ago when my key fob wouldn't open the car, i gained access to car using key but had various things that wouldn't work: No central locking at all,no indicators, no heater, no front intermittent wipers and no rear wipers, no lights apart from headlights that come on when car is started, no interior lights, no heated front or rear screen. RAC came out, tested fuses, couldn't find a problem so "rebooted" battery, all ok for a few days then same thing again, then it started working again on it's own and for the last week the fault is occuring intermittently. I am not driving the car as can't trust it. I did take it to my local garage the other day (when the bloody thing was working) and the auto eletrician spent 3 hours on it, testing various things and can't find a problem, he suggested it could be the Generic Electronic Module (GEM). I drove the car home and the fault occured again, then is working again the next day and hasn't even been driven. Ford want £500 to supply and fit new GEM unit .
    I have had enough of this car, i've had it 2 years, it's only got 28,000 miles on clock and i've had 3 coil packs on it, and a new power steering pump which cost me £550.
    Please help me, i feel like setting fire to the car!!!!

Welcome to the site fedupfocusowner, it sounds like setting fire to it could be the best thing?
    (only kidding)

It sounds like your car has had electrical problems ever since you got it......!I've had 3 coil packs on it, and a new power steering pump which cost me £550"

Sorry I have to technical answer for your problem, but I hope one of the site Gurus coud help you, good luck

It does sound like a fault with the BSI, You can get them rebuilt rather than buying new.

When you changed the coil pack did you fit a genuine Ford unit?

What is a BSI? All 3 coil were genuine ford ones, the last one had to be replaced after only 9 months and they also changed spark plugs and leads at same time.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupfocusowner View Post
    What is a BSI? All 3 coil were genuine ford ones, the last one had to be replaced after only 9 months and they also changed spark plugs and leads at same time.
    It will most likely be the GEM as everything you have said that is not working is controlled by the GEM.

BSI is Another name for the GEM unit.

Thanks for that, i have spoken to a couple of people this morning and they all say the same thing, so i'm going to have to bite the bullet and take it the Fords on Monday, they have just quoted it could cost £650-£700 to diagnose the fault and then supply and fit GEM. Will let you know how it get on.
    I can't believe that i spent £8,000 for the car 2½ years ago and have had all these problems. I have even considered getting rid of it, but have been told i might get £4,500 if i'm lucky, it's only got 28k on the clock and i have it serviced etc and look after the damn thing. I'm driving round in my 1988 VW polo at the moment that i sold to my mom and i had less problems with that car than the Focus, the newest car i've ever owned.
    I am going to write again to Fords, i did write twice before and didn't even get a reply!!

You don't have to go to a Ford main dealer. Yuo could go anywhere or even swap it over yourself.

BBA-Reman can rebuild your own GEM unit. If you can take it off and send it to them.

Hello again

I have just spoken to Fords and ofcourse today the car is working ok, they have run diagnostics on it and can't find a fault. They say the battery is "low" and sometimes this can play havoc with the electrics, they are going to charge the battery overnight and see what happens tomorrow. Have you heard of this before? I'm at the end of my tether with the damn car

Well ford had my car for 4 days and couldn't fault it at all, to be fair they only charged me £46 for half hour labour, didn't charge for diagnostics. Got car back now but it's on my drive, going to keep testing it for a few days before i drive it again, don't feel safe in it.