Welcome to the RAC Community

Your place to talk cars, driving, latest EVs, news and views, and anything motoring related!

members
    users online
    total posts
  1. 42,268 Posts
    20-04-24
  2. 240 Posts
    20-03-24
  3. 2,246 Posts
    Yesterday
  4. General Driving Discussions

Conversations about driving, gadgets, travel, breakdowns and safety
    Latest post: Why wouldn't this work? by
    48,712 Posts
    Yesterday
  5. 12,532 Posts
    Today
  6. 285 Posts
    21-04-24
  7. 10,928 Posts
    Yesterday
  8. 904 Posts
    16-04-24
  • Legal Care Plus - clarity around cover for other family members
    Thanks for the reply. I've read the policy booklet through, it isn't clear. I'll call RAC directly - there isn't an email address. Sometimes it's... see more
  • Insurance claim
    @TC1474 If an insurance company shows a lack of cooperation or takes a lazy approach to settling the claim, what options does the claimant have? see more
  • Illegally parked car
    It's frustrating when a car is parked in front of my house without asking. Not only does it inconvenience me, but it also restricts my ability to use... see more
  • Turned into the wrong(opposite)lane
    If you weren’t caught you should be fine, I wouldn’t worry I don’t think there’s a specific offence of driving on the wrong side of the road,... see more
  • Why wouldn't this work?
    Not quite 100 years ago but the addition of an overdrive unit was very popular back in the day.... see more
  • Turned into the wrong(opposite)lane
    Hi! I’m used to driving on the right side of the road as I’m Ukrainian, and now I’m driving in UK. today after traffic light was green I turned into... see more
  • Driving with Anemia
    @Mark07 I do not have diabetes but anemia. I was driving one day and I became anxious and I was driving slower than normal and hovering my foot... see more
  • Driving with Anemia
    @Beelzebubi ​​​​​​​I had already informed DVLA and surrended my license and then I got it back. My doctor told me that there should not be any... see more
  • Anyone started their garden yet?
    Our garden has got totally out of hand. The professionals are coming on Wednesday to make a start. see more
  • Illegally parked car
    @Md01 ​​​​​​​Hopefully, that will be the end of it, but we have seen cases where insurance claims pop up a long time after the event. see more
  • Driving with Anemia
    Not having a go at you, Beelzebub, more the system after reading the .gov page - I'm not sure that their attempt to riddle an individual with guilt... see more
  • Driving with Anemia
    O, are you aware that you may need to report anxiety to the DVLA/ see https://www.gov.uk/anxiety-and-driving ""You must tell DVLA if you... see more
  • Driving with Anemia
    Hi @Carolina, Welcome to the Community. As long as you don't mind sharing this with other members, what are the symptoms you experience that... see more
    It's very common here to grow vegetables in 5 gallon buckets due to the bugs and the drought. Perfect soil and easy to net to keep hungry critters... see more
  • Driving with Anemia
    I would like to know if anyone has had anxiety when they have had anemia and how did they overcome this please. I have been driving for 35 years... see more
  • Mot recovery
    Santa is right. In this circumstance, the car would not be considered road worthy and therefore would not be supported by a policy. We can... see more
  • Automatic & Manual licence
    Just my opinion but I don't really see the point in a distinction I feel I was probably more of a risk driving an automatic for the first time as... see more
    Since we've had a dog we don't grow anything edible (due to p*ss), and few small plants(due to digging), mostly trees and larger shrubs which don't... see more
  • merging onto single carriageway
    I sometimes come across left turns onto single carriageways which have something resembling a slip road on it I occasionally utilise the slip road... see more
    Thanks for the responses, I wasn't suggesting this would work because if all it needed was changing the size of the teeth on one of the gears for... see more
    Hi @Tudorqueen, Welcome to the Community. Funnily enough, I have driven on this stretch of road not too long ago. Merging from the Cousland... see more
    I have looked at the link on Street View and I can't see the problem you describe. There are a lot of slip roads to choose from. see more
  • Mot recovery
    They state that they will not recover cars without a current MOT, so I guess not. Of course, I would have assumed that a car on its way to be tested... see more
    Just finished with the rototiller and laying in the drip tape. Got a greenhouse full of peppers tomatoes and marijuana that I need to get into the... see more
    I once read that a manual transmission is close to 100% efficient some of the time while an auto is 90% efficient all of the time. Like all things... see more
  • Illegally parked car
    @NMNeiltold him I was going through the insurance, haven't heard from him since. Surprise surprise. see more
  • Automatic & Manual licence
    There is a proposal but it only goes part-way towards scrapping the distinction: It's worth mentioning that there has never been a distinction... see more
    @Drivingforfun The designers choose a set of ratios to match the power/torque of the engine and a combination of attributes like acceleration,... see more
    The current trends are towards EVs and to automatic boxes on ICE cars. I doubt whether further development of the manual box would be on anyone's... see more
    I’ve noticed the gears in my car, along with most other cars I’ve driven, are rather close together, if that’s the correct term. You can drive in... see more