International Driving Permit

International Driving Permit
If you're planning to drive a car abroad you'll need an International Driving Permit (IDP) for certain countries. This international driving permit is in addition to your UK driving licence - which you also need to take with you if you're driving and/or hiring a car abroad.

To be eligible for an IDP you must:

  • Have a full UK driving licence (not provisional) covering the type of vehicle you're planning to drive abroad - be a permanent resident of the UK
  • Be 18 or over

You can't get an IDP with a foreign driving licence unless it's an EU driving licence and you're resident in Great Britain.

Buy now

What you need to know about getting an IDP:

European breakdown cover

Wherever you end up on holiday, we’ve got you covered

How to get an international driving permit:

1. Download and print the IDP application form.

2. Complete the IDP form.

3. Include the following:

  • The correct fee - £8 for one application or £16 for two (£5.50 plus £2.50 processing fee per application.)
  • 1 x Recent passport-size photo(s) signed on the back.
  • A photocopy (not original) of your complete UK driving licence, including photocard if applying by post.
  • A photocopy of the page from your passport with your photo and identification details.

4. Send it to:

       RAC Motoring Services
       Travel Administration
       PO Box 587
       Great Park Road
       BS32 4QN

Need help printing the application form?

Call our Travel Sales team on 0800 051 7778. Opening hours: Monday to Friday - 08:00 to 16:00.

Buy now