To be eligible for an IDP you must:
- Have a full UK driving licence (not provisional) covering the type of vehicle you're planning to drive abroad - be a permanent resident of the UK
- Be 18 or over
You can't get an IDP with a foreign driving licence unless it's an EU driving licence and you're resident in Great Britain.
What you need to know about getting an IDP:
- An IDP is valid for 1 year;
- You can only get an IDP 3 months in advance of needing it.
- We'll send your IDP first class, please allow up to 10 days before travel for your application to be processed. Your application can be processed within two days if required, we just ask for an additional £6.95 for this service.
- You can't get an IDP issued retrospectively.
- There are 2 types of IDP (1949 and 1926) depending on which countries you visit - RAC can issue both. Check the international driving permit requirements of the country you are visiting before you submitting your application.
How to get an international driving permit:
2. Complete the IDP form.
3. Include the following:
- The correct fee - £8 for one application or £16 for two (£5.50 plus £2.50 processing fee per application.)
- 1 x Recent passport-size photo(s) signed on the back.
- A photocopy (not original) of your complete UK driving licence, including photocard if applying by post.
- A photocopy of the page from your passport with your photo and identification details.
4. Send it to:
RAC Motoring Services
PO Box 587
Great Park Road
Need help printing the application form?
Call our Travel Sales team on 0800 051 7778. Opening hours: Monday to Friday - 08:00 to 16:00.