Nick Cave has been given an opportunity to undergo driver training instead of facing prosecution after the singer's Jaguar saloon collided with a speed camera on December 7 last year, sources have said.
The Australian-born rocker bumped into the seafront camera and a roadside barrier on a carriageway at Kingsway in Hove, East Sussex, with his twin 10-year-old sons in the car. All escaped unscathed from the scene of the accident.
The 53-year-old was not arrested after the crash as there were no other cars involved in the incident, but sources say the musician has been offered a chance to take on a driver training improvement scheme.
The accident took place at 7pm, close to the place where Cave, frontman of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, lives.
The crash highlights the importance of choosing a suitablecar insurance scheme, which will cover much or all of the costs in the event of an accident.
A Sussex Police spokesman said: "The driver was voluntarily interviewed by police and a decision was made to offer him a place on a driver improvement scheme as an alternative to prosecution."
Photographer Darren Cool, 26, who witnessed the aftermath of the crash, said he instantly recognised the driver as Cave.
He said: "When I first saw the speed camera, I thought it would make a decent weather picture because the conditions were icy at the time.
"Then I saw Nick Cave stumbling around in and out of the car and started taking some pictures. He looked pretty shaken up by the whole thing."
Copyright © Press Association 2011