Gazza's drink-drive trial adjourned

The drink-drive case of former England midfielder Paul Gascoigne has been adjourned for the fourth time.

Footballer Gascoigne, 43, was set to go on trial at Northallerton Magistrates' Court, in North Yorkshire, but the case had to be adjourned after civilian witnesses were unable to attend the hearing.

The former Newcastle United player, who is commonly referred to as Gazza, is accused of being behind the wheel of a Ford Transit van while over the legal alcohol limit on February 7 at Leeming Bar, North Yorkshire.

Magistrates have been told in previous hearings that the football star was found to have 467 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of urine - more than four times of the legal limit of 107 milligrams.

However, Gascoigne denies the charge and has also pleaded not guilty to driving without insurance.

Gascoigne turned up at court along with his co-accused Michael Harvey, 41, of Wood Street, Gateshead.

Mr Harvey has denied driving a Ford Transit van over the legal limit on February 7 at Leeming Bar.

Magistrates have been told he had 259 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of urine. Mr Harvey pleaded guilty last month to being in charge of a motor vehicle while over the limit but denied driving without insurance and driving while disqualified.

Copyright © Press Association 2010