Scotland's busiest motorway saw a section of road shut for four hours in both directions due to an electrical fire as a power cut blanked out a large section of Glasgow.
Emergency services said they could not tell yet whether the two incidents were linked.
The fire happened beneath the A8 which runs alongside the M8 in Glasgow, closing the motorway between junctions 25 Clyde Tunnel and 27 Arkleston. Two cables carrying 132,000 volts were involved in the blaze which was "well-developed", said Strathclyde Police.
Nobody was injured in the blaze which broke out in an underpass at Old Govan Road, Renfrew, and fire services, electricity and gas engineers looked into the incident. Thirty firefighters attended from Renfrew, Paisley, Polmadie, Clydebank and Milngavie.
Several bodies worked to isolate the cables, including Strathclyde Fire & Rescue, Strathclyde Police, the Highways Agency, Scottish Power and Scottish Gas. They confirmed there were no problems with the gas main and said they had made sure the M8 was safe structurally.
Copyright © Press Association 2011